A handful of pistachios a day keep heart disease at baySeptember 23rd, 2008 - 12:25 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 23 (ANI): A handful of pistachio nuts a day can reduce your chances of developing heart disease, according to a team of American researchers.
The scientists have found that pistachios bring down levels of bad cholesterol in the blood, as they contain an antioxidant called lutein, also found in fruit and leafy green veg, which cuts the build-up of bad cholesterol in the arteries.
Pistachios are very healthy in moderation. A handful a day is very easily incorporated into the diet and they are less calorific than peanuts as you have to take the shell off, the Daily Express quoted nutritionist Angela Dowden, as saying.
To reach the conclusion, scientists at Pennsylvania State University and Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation chose 28 adults whose average bad cholesterol level was borderline high.
They first gave them a diet rich in cheese, oil and butter. Then they switched to low-fat diets before incorporating pistachios.
Bad cholesterol levels dropped by 12 per cent when two daily servings of pistachios were eaten. Good cholesterol levels did not change.
The study has been published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
However, nutritionists warn that eating too many and gaining extra weight will not protect your heart. (ANI)
- Multiple health benefits of eating pistachios - May 21, 2010
- Walnuts richest in antioxidants - Mar 28, 2011
- Variety in meals hold key to longer life - Oct 19, 2010
- Now, a perfect sandwich for every mood - Jul 15, 2010
- A handful of pistachios a day can help keep heart doc away - May 18, 2010
- Nuts can help you cut down lung cancer risk - Dec 09, 2009
- Eat pistachios to cut down cancer risk (Lead) - Dec 09, 2009
- Pistachios 'can cut lung cancer risk' - Dec 09, 2009
- Eating 'handful' of walnuts best bet for healthy heart - Mar 28, 2011
- Variety in meals holds key to a long and healthy life - Oct 18, 2010
- Pistachios, not pretzels, are weight-loss snack! - May 04, 2011
- Take tea to avoid heart problems, diabetes - Feb 18, 2012
- A nutritious lunchbox could promote optimal learning for school kids - Sep 06, 2010
- Be nutty for good health - Apr 13, 2012
- Key components of Mediterranean diet that keep heart healthy - Feb 12, 2010
Tags: american journal of clinical nutrition, american researchers, antioxidant, arteries, bad cholesterol, cholesterol, cholesterol level, daily express, dowden, good cholesterol levels, handful, heart disease, journal of clinical nutrition, low fat diets, medical research foundation, moderation, peanuts, pennsylvania state university, pistachio nuts, veg