A batch of 1,935 Amarnath pilgrims leaves Jammu for holy shrineJune 20th, 2009 - 5:13 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 20 (ANI): After initial weather related hindrances, a fresh batch of 1,935 pilgrims left Jammu on Saturday for its onward journey to the holy Amarnath cave shrine in Kashmir.
The batch comprises 852 men, 325 women, 54 children and 704 ascetics left from the base camp at Bhagwati Nagar in Jammu at around 0450 hours amid tight security, officials said. It will travel though the Baltal route.
A total of 4,695 pilgrims including Saturday’s batch have left Jammu for the cave shrine since the beginning of the Yatra on June 15.
Amarnath pilgrimage was obstructed for three days following bad weather prevailing in Kashmir valley before resuming on Friday.
Presently, the authorities were allowing only the Baltal route for the annual pilgrimage as the Pahalgam route has not been fully cleared of snow.
The Amarnath caves are one of the most famous shrines in Hinduism, dedicated to Lord Shiva, located in Jammu and Kashmir.
The holy shrine is claimed to be over 5,000 years old and forms an important part of ancient Hindu mythology. Inside the main Amarnath cave lies an ice stalagmite resembling the Shiva Linga, which waxes during May to August and gradually wanes thereafter.
This Shivalinga is said to grow and shrink with the phases of the moon. (ANI)
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrine - Jul 09, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 20,000 head for shrine (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 600,000 pilgrims perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 25, 2011
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath pilgrims, ancient hindu, ascetics, bad weather, hindrances, hindu mythology, hinduism, holy shrine, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, lord shiva, phases of the moon, pilgrimage, security officials, shiva linga, shivalinga, shrines, tight security, yatra