82 percent Raigad farmers against Reliance SEZOctober 6th, 2008 - 9:09 pm ICT by ANI
Alibaug (Maharashtra), Oct 6 (ANI): Eighty two percent farmers and landowners in Raigad district are against the of the proposed Reliance Special Economic Zone (SEZ) project.
Though the Government has not yet declared any result on the referendum conducted last month, SEZ Sangharsh Samiti chief N D Patil declared the result on the basis of information sought by it.
About 82 percent of farmers are not in favour of SEZ, Patil told reporters in Alibaug.
The Samiti has decided to wait till October 21 since all the farmers are busy with rice crop and then decide the further line of action, he said.
While the Government has not come up with the result of referendum, an official from the collectorate told media.
About 18,000 landowners and farmers from 22 villages voted on the issue on September 21.
Farmers of these villages had opposed the project stating theirs was arable land due to the Hetawane dam located in the area and as such could not be acquired for the SEZ. (ANI)
- Mumbai SEZ promoters including Reliance file petition opposing defacto referendum - Sep 18, 2008
- Maharashtra axes four SEZs after local opposition - Jul 31, 2012
- Anti-SEZ body claims 95 percent farmers against Raigad project - Oct 06, 2008
- Assocham for tax sops to promote SEZs - Apr 22, 2012
- Farmers to vote on Mumbai special economic zone - Sep 20, 2008
- Citing Japan, Indian villagers oppose nuclear plant - Apr 07, 2011
- Inadequate rains, scarcity, worry Maharashtra legislators - Jul 11, 2012
- Raigad villagers participate in referendum on Reliance project - Sep 21, 2008
- Noida farmers to stall building projects - Oct 03, 2011
- Administration threatening us, say Noida farmers - Oct 03, 2011
- Convention on mega dams in Assam from Feb 25 - Feb 02, 2012
- Himachal raises objections to Renuka dam project - Jun 16, 2012
- Noida, Greater Noida farmers and home buyers on war path (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Noida farmers seek higher compensation, jobs - Aug 09, 2011
- Noida officials, farmers agree to 90-day truce - Jul 30, 2011