800 students participate in peace cycle rally in GuwahatiOctober 19th, 2008 - 9:22 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Oct 19 (ANI): Around 800 students from various schools participated in a cycle rally held at Guwahati in Assam on Sunday to promote peace, keeping in view the recent clashes between the ethnic Bodos and the Bangladeshi settlers.
A German cycle team, Karma Riders, who had come from Germany to tour the North East for promoting peace, led the rally.
“In Germany, violent incidents make news. A week before leaving Germany, in a local paper I read about the clashes between the Bodos and the Muslims. This is an attempt to recycle news so that we get other news in the German paper about the nice things, about the beauty of the landscape,” said Martin Kesper, a cycle rider.
The participants said that they wanted to tell the people about the vibrant culture of the northeast.
“Its an overwhelming impression. The landscape is beautiful. We want to tell every body about that. We hope that lots of tourists will come here because the region is so positive,” said Neil Peterson, another cycle rider.
Last week, over 51 people have been killed in clashes between the tribal Bodo community and migrant Muslims in violence-hit Udalguri and Darrang Districts of Assam.
Around 2,500 houses were damaged in 54 villages in both the districts in the clashes. (ANI)
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- PM calls for end to Assam violence, assures proper probe (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Assam violence not Hindu-Muslim clash: Minister for Northeast (Interview) - Aug 20, 2012
- It's time for healing: PM tells Assam victims (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- PM appeals for peace in Assam, assures proper probe, rehabilitation (Third Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- More paramilitary forces readied for Assam - Jul 28, 2012
- NHRC seeks report on Assam violence - Aug 01, 2012
- Businessman shot dead in Assam's Kokrajhar - Aug 17, 2012
- Two militants held in Assam - Jul 01, 2012
- Thousands of fleeing northeastern people reach Guwahati - Aug 18, 2012
- Rehabilitate Bengali Muslims only after verification: Bodo groups - Aug 18, 2012
- Advani blames Bangladeshi immigrants for Assam violence (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Advani blames Bangladeshi immigrants for Assam violence - Jul 31, 2012
- It's time for healing: PM to Assam victims - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: assam, bodo, bodos, clashes, german paper, germany, guwahati, landscape, muslims, nice things, participants, promoting peace, rally, settlers, tourists, vibrant culture, violence, violent incidents