8 foreigners dead in Mumbai terror attack: Home MinistryNovember 28th, 2008 - 8:18 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 28 (ANI): The Home Ministry has confirmed the death of eight foreigners in the Mumbai terror attack, it was disclosed by Special Secretary (Internal Security) in the Ministry of Home Affairs M.L. Kumawat in a press conference here today.
He said 477 commandoes are engaged in the operations in Mumbai and one more National Security Guard (NSG) contingent is being dispatched to Mumbai.
A Major Sandeep Uni Krishnan and a Havaldar Chander of NSG laid down their lives in the fight against the terrorists.
Kumawat said operations in Nariman House and Taj are still on, while Oberoi Hotel is fully secure and guests are being taken out.
The Special Secretary said 1 AK 47, 2 pistols and some unexploded Chinese grenades have been recovered from the eighth floor of the Oberoi Hotel.
The number of foreigners killed is as follows: German-3, Japanese-1, Canadian-1, Australian-1. The nationalities of 2 people are yet to be identified.
At least 22 foreigners injured in the attack which includes German (2), American (2), Canadian (1), British (5), Norwegian (1), Spanish (1), Philippines (1), Italy (1), Oman (2), Finish (1) and German (3). The identity of two are not known.
Kumawat also appreciated the responsible role of media during the operation except for one channel.
When asked why the NSG took so long to take action after the attack, he said action was taken, but things do take time.
In what is being described as the biggest terror attack in India’’s history, at least 125 people have been feared so far dead, and more than 350 people injured in Mumbai strikes. (ANI)
Tags: ak 47, chander, commandoes, contingent, death of eight, eighth floor, foreigners, grenades, home ministry, internal security, ministry of home affairs, mumbai terror attack, nariman, nationalities, New Delhi, nsg, pistols, responsible role, role of media, security guard, terror attack