6th attack on Indian in one month in AustraliaJune 1st, 2009 - 7:51 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 1 (ANI): While thousands of Indians living in Australia asked for increased security to ensure their safety on Sunday, a cab driver, hailing from Hyderabad, was reportedly bashed up by an Australian, who was in an inebriated state.
The victim suffered injuries on face, leg, and hand besides being left behind with two broken teeth. The local police then took the man to Alfred Hospital from where his family was informed.
“I have injuries on face, leg and hand. I have two broken tooth as well,” the victim, who went unconscious after the attack, claimed.
The incident reportedly occurred on Sunday morning with a 35-year old cab driver who picked up the drunk passenger from the Chapel street for Blackburn suburb in his taxi, before being attacked by him.
“After we reached Blackburn the passenger then asked me to take him to Ringwood when my taxi tyre went flat. I tried to tell him I won’t be able to take him any further. He started abusing me,” the victim said requesting anonymity, said a Times Now report.
The victim, originally hailing from Hyderabad, was then bashed up and punched by the attacker.
The man was discharged today, a family member said.
Police, according to the victim’s family member, also got hold of the attacker.
The victim however said that he did not think it was a racially motivated attack but an “opportunistic crime”.
On contacting the hospital authorities did not provide details of the victim. There was also no official confirmation of the incident so far. (ANI)
- Indian taxi driver charged over bashing passengers in St Kilda - Feb 04, 2010
- Three taxi drivers attacked in Brisbane - Jun 06, 2010
- Indian taxi driver charged over bashing passenger in Australia - Feb 04, 2010
- When 50 taxi drivers in China helped an ailing colleague - Sep 08, 2012
- Bangkok's Iranian bomber loses legs, four others injured (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- San Diego taxi driver plows into nightclub crowd - Feb 12, 2011
- New York City Cabbie Stabbed After Admitting That He Was A Muslim - Aug 26, 2010
- Grief grips family of man killed in BMW accident - Aug 07, 2012
- Indian origin cabbies in Oz to benefit from 'late night passenger ID' proposal - Jun 25, 2010
- Woman Plunges From Hotel, Survives 23 Story Fall - Jan 25, 2011
- Gambhir's cousin thrashes taxi driver - May 25, 2012
- More Indians assaulted in Australia - Jan 16, 2010
- Bashing up of Dunedin cabbie sparks off fears of more attacks on drivers - Jul 26, 2010
- Indian taxi drivers scared to drive in Australia - Jun 19, 2012
- Indian origin taxi drivers in New Zealand say cameras won't stop all violence - Apr 01, 2010
Tags: alfred hospital, anonymity, attacker, broken teeth, broken tooth, cab driver, chapel street, confirmation, family member, hospital authorities, indians, left behind, living in australia, New Delhi, suburb, sunday morning, taxi, tyre