61st Republic Day celebrated with gaiety in northeast IndiaJanuary 26th, 2010 - 7:30 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal/Agartala/Guwahati, Jan.26 (ANI): As the country commemorated its 61st Republic Day on Tuesday, the day was celebrated with great pomp and gaiety amidst tight security, defying the 12 hours general strike called by several militant outfits of north-east.
Security forces contingents, non-governmental organizations and tableaux of various departments depicting cultural heritage, besides school and college students participated in the parade in Imphal.
In the morning, Manipur Governor Gurbachan Jagat hoisted the Tricolour and took salute.
Cultural troupes from different districts of the state presented dance performances during the parade.
Thousands of people converged from different parts of the State to witness the mega event.
Meanwhile, in Agartala, Tripura’s Governor D.Y Patil unfurled the national flag and took the salute during the parade taken out during the Republic Day celebrations at the Assam Rifles ground.
Braving cold, a large number of people turned up to witness the celebrations.
In Assam, Governor J B Pattnaik hoisted the national flag and took the salute.
Also present was the Assam’s chief minister Tarun Gogoi on this special occasion.
India became a republic on January 26, 1950, and commemorates the day across the country with military parades, pomp and ceremony in all major cities. (ANI)
- Northeast defies militant boycott calls on R-Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh celebrates 63rd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh celebrates R-Day with patriotic zeal - Jan 26, 2011
- Pomp, pageantry mark Republic Day in Karnataka (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- West Bengal celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Himachal braves cold, marks Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Poll-bound Punjab celebrates R-Day under EC watch - Jan 26, 2012
- Himachal braves cold, marks Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- UP celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Gujarat celebrates R-Day with fervour - Jan 26, 2011
- India celebrates 62nd R'Day, military might on show (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2011
- Maharashtra celebrates 62nd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Haryana celebrates Republic Day with fanfare - Jan 26, 2011
- Chandigarh celebrates 62nd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: agartala, assam rifles, chief minister, cultural heritage, dance performances, gaiety, gogoi, guwahati, imphal, jagat, militant outfits, military parades, national flag, northeast india, pomp, republic day, tarun, tight security, tricolour, tripura