600,000 pilgrims perform Amarnath YatraJuly 25th, 2011 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 25 (IANS) In less than a month, nearly 600,000 pilgrims have so far performed the annual pilgrimage to the cave shrine of Amarnath in Jammu and Kashmir, though it could be in for a rainy spell.
“The Amarnath yatra is continuing peacefully from both the (north Kashmir) Baltal route and the (south Kashmir) Pahalgam routes. So far nearly six lakh pilgrims have performed the yatra,” a senior police officer told IANS here about the pilgrimage that started June 29 and ends Aug 13.
The weather office has forecast moderate to heavy rains along the mountain treks of Pahalgam and Baltal from July 25-29 of this month.
“The pilgrims are advised to consult the weather advisory before undertaking the trek either from the Baltal side or the Pahalgam side during these days,” the officer said.
He also said the ice stalagmite structure, which is the main attraction for the pilgrims as it is believed to symbolize the mythical powers of Lord Shiva, is still intact inside the cave shrine.
“The Shivlingam is around five feet tall inside the Holy cave this time,” the officer said.
Around 600,000 devotees have been inside the cave to have ‘darshan’ of the Shivlingam this year.
“Each human being radiates heat equivalent to a 100 watt electric bulb. You can imagine how much heat 600,000 human beings must have radiated inside the cave shrine,” said an engineer looking after the yatra arrangements in the Baltal base camp.
So far, 82 pilgrims have died of natural causes during the yatra.
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrine - Jul 09, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- 45,000 Amarnath pilgrims treated at medical camps - Jul 30, 2012
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Bad weather halts Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- More than 150,000 register for Amarnath pilgrimage - May 22, 2011
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 22, 2010
Tags: amarnath yatra, devotees, five feet, heavy rains, holy cave, human beings, jammu and kashmir, june 29, kashmir, lord shiva, main attraction, mythical powers, north kashmir, pahalgam, pilgrimage, pilgrims, police officer, south kashmir, treks, weather office