60 percent Taliban militants foreigners: Afghan defence ministerFebruary 5th, 2009 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Feb 5 (Xinhua) Afghanistan’s Defence Minister General Abdul Rahim Wardak has said that 60 percent of the Taliban militants were foreigners, an Afghan newspaper reported Thursday. “Over 60 percent of anti-government militants are foreign nationals,” daily Arman-e-Millie quoted the minister as saying.
The defence minister did not specify the nationalities of the militants.
The newspaper also quoted the defence minister as saying that these insurgents were mostly active in the Helmand province.
According to Afghan defence ministry, around 15,000 Taliban rebels are currently fighting in Afghanistan and the numbers were being swelled by foreign insurgents moving in from Iraq.
“Since last year, as the result of the success of the surge in Iraq, there has been a flow of foreign terrorists into Afghanistan,” Wardak said, adding that foreign nationals mostly from the Arab countries, Uzbekistan, Chechnya and Pakistan were seen siding with the Taliban insurgents in the past.
- Reducing Afghan forces can lead to catastrophe: Minister - Feb 19, 2012
- Failed Talban suicide bomber shot in Afghanistan was 'British sleeper' - Apr 24, 2011
- Three Taliban killed, 29 held in Afghanistan - Dec 01, 2011
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Panetta's safe haven comment unhelpful: Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Pakistan must not allow terrorists to use its territory: Panetta (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Pakistan must not allow terrorists to use it: Panetta - Jun 07, 2012
- Afghanistan, US sign deal on night raids - Apr 09, 2012
- 15 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Dec 31, 2011
- Four US soldiers killed in Afghanistan - Nov 23, 2009
- 13 insurgents killed, 8 held in Afghanistan - Dec 10, 2011
- Bombs kill five foreign troops in Afghanistan - Aug 31, 2010
- Karzai castigates Pakistan for providing refuge to terrorists - Sep 16, 2010
- Afghan, NATO forces kill 80 Taliban fighters (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- China vows closer military ties with Afghanistan - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: abdul rahim, afghanistan, arab countries, chechnya, defence minister, defence ministry, foreign nationals, foreigners, helmand province, insurgents, kabul, millie, minister general, nationalities, rebels, siding, taliban, uzbekistan, wardak, xinhua