58 MPs file petition seeking removal of Calcutta judgeFebruary 20th, 2009 - 7:11 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 20 (ANI): Fifty Eight Rajya Sabha members on Friday filed a petition before the House Chairman seeking the removal of Calcutta High Court Judge Soumitra Sen on grounds of financial misconduct.
Members of Parliament from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPM), Communist Party of India (CPI), Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD), Telugu Desam Party (TDP), Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) and Janta Dal (United) submitted a petition to
House Chairman and Vice-President Hamid Ansari.
Sen was allegedly found to have indulged in financial misconduct prior to his elevation as High Court judge in December, 2003, when he was a practicing lawyer, in an internal inquiry held by Chief Justice of India on the matter.
In a lawsuit between Steel Authority of India Ltd and Shipping Corporation of India, Sen is said to have received Rs. 32 lakh as court-appointed receiver and accused of depositing the amount in his personal account.
If Sen is impeached, it will be an unprecedented event. The previous attempted impeachment of Justice V. Ramaswamy in 1991 failed to pass muster in the Lok Sabha as the then Narasimha Rao government failed to take a position on the issue. (ANI)
- Rajya Sabha resumes impeachment debate - Aug 18, 2011
- Rajya Sabha votes to impeach Justice Soumitra Sen (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Impeachment proceedings against Justice Sen begin - Aug 17, 2011
- Sen second judge ever to face impeachment process - Aug 17, 2011
- What does impeachment of a judge mean? (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Rajya Sabha panel holds Justice Sen guilty of corruption - Nov 10, 2010
- Lok Sabha drops impeachment motion against Sen - Sep 05, 2011
- Soumitra Sen accepts Lok Sabha's stand - Sep 06, 2011
- 'Decide impeachment in accordance with conscience' (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- No impeachment motion against Justice Sen in Lok Sabha - Sep 05, 2011
- Rajya Sabha makes history; votes for Justice Sen's impeachment (Third Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Rajya Sabha creates history; votes for Justice Sen's impeachment (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Impeachment proceedings: Justice Sen claims innocence (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Lok Sabha likely to take up Justice Sen impeachment - Sep 03, 2011
- Patil forwards Sen's resignation for notification - Sep 03, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, bharatiya janata party, calcutta high court, chief justice of india, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dravida munnetra kazhagam, hamid ansari, internal inquiry, janta dal united, Lok Sabha, members of parliament, narasimha rao, nationalist congress party, ramaswamy, rjd, shipping corporation of india, steel authority of india ltd, telugu desam party, unprecedented event