498 cadets pass out of Indian Military AcademyDecember 13th, 2008 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Dehradun, Dec 13 (IANS) Nearly 500 cadets, including 24 foreigners, passed out of the Indian Military Academy (IMA) here Saturday following a parade reviewed by army chief General Deepak Kapoor.The men crossed the threshold with the words ‘Antim Pag’ (final steps) inscribed on the gates of the Chetwode Building from where they step out as officers of the Indian Army.
“In all 498 cadets passed out of IMA. Of them, 468 will join the Indian Army while 24 are foreign cadets and six are from Assam Rifles,” IMA spokesman Lt. Col. A.K. Sharma told IANS.
After the national anthem was played at the 76-year-old academy, jubilant cadets tossed their caps in the air. All of them will join the army as lieutenants.
In their one-and-a-half years training, the cadets are taught to imbibe the credo of the academy: “The safety, honour and welfare of your country come first, always and every time. The honour, welfare and comfort of the men you command come next. Your own ease, comfort and safety come last, always and every time.”
In view of the Mumbai terror attacks, an unprecedented security cover was thrown around the academy. Visitors had to pass through stringent checks.
Aerial surveys were also conducted, officials said.
In 2005, a terrorist was arrested near the academy, days before the passing out parade. An entry pass was recovered from him.
The IMA was established Oct 1, 1932, with Brig L.P. Collins as its first commandant. The first course, the Pioneers, had on its roll Sam Manekshaw, Smith Dun and Mohammed Musa, all of whom later became chiefs of the armies of their respective countries — India, Burma and Pakistan.
- Over 600 cadets pass out of Indian Military Academy - Jun 12, 2010
- 511 cadets pass out of Indian Military Academy - Jun 13, 2009
- 498 cadets pass out of Indian Military Academy - Dec 13, 2008
- 608 cadets pass out of Indian Military Academy - Jun 07, 2008
- Bangladesh Army chief to see NDA graduation - Nov 21, 2011
- Bangladeshi army chief to review NDA passing-out parade - Nov 21, 2011
- Family, friends elated at Divya wins coveted honour - Sep 19, 2010
- Armed forces prepared for any challenge: V.K. Singh - May 30, 2012
- Cadets shake a leg at NDA Ball - Nov 20, 2011
- Karnataka governor hoists tricolour - Jan 26, 2011
- To plug officer shortage, Indian Army to open Bihar academy - Jun 17, 2011
- 171 officers commissioned into Indian Air Force - Dec 18, 2010
- Karnataka celebrates Independence Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Karnataka celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- `China ties don't impact Bangladesh's relation with India' - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: academy days, aerial surveys, assam rifles, deepak kapoor, indian army, indian military academy, indian military academy dehradun, mumbai terror attack, national anthem, old academy, passing out parade