BSF stops infiltration bid across Jammu and Kashmir borderMay 9th, 2008 - 2:36 pm ICT by admin
Jammu, May 9 ( IANS) The Border Security Force (BSF) Friday claimed to have thwarted a infiltration bid from across the border in Jammu and Kashmir’s Samba sector. A group of nearly a dozen infiltrators was sighted by BSF troops guarding the 187 km India-Pakistan border at 10.40 p.m. Thursday, said J.B. Sangwan, deputy inspector general of the BSF.
“When the infiltrators were challenged, they opened fire. There was back up fire as well. We didn’t know if that was from the group of infiltrators or Pakistani Rangers,” Sangwan told IANS.
“We retaliated and it lasted for 15-20 minutes,” he said, adding that the intruders ran back into Pakistani territory.
Asked if this meant that there was a breach of ceasefire, holding on since Nov 26, 2003, the BSF officer said: “We don’t have evidence that Pakistani Rangers were involved in the fire, so I cannot say anything on this issue.”
The police have mounted extra vigil in the border areas as a “precaution”.
- BSF trooper injured in firing by Pakistani Rangers - Dec 30, 2011
- Infiltration bid foiled at Jammu and Kashmir border (Lead) - May 09, 2008
- Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firing - Aug 07, 2012
- Pakistani Rangers fire on Indian post on Independence Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Dec 29, 2010
- Security forces foil infiltration bid in Jammu region - May 01, 2010
- Trooper killed in firing from Pakistan (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
- BSF shoots intruder trying to enter India - Jan 21, 2011
- Pakistan violates ceasefire, BSF jawan injured - Jul 21, 2010
- BSF officer killed in firing from Pakistan side - Sep 20, 2011
- Pakistan Army, Rangers fire on Indian posts on LoC, border (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- India, Pakistan troops exchange fire, infiltration bid foiled - May 01, 2010
- BSF trooper injured in cross-border firing near Jammu - Aug 11, 2012
- India warns Pakistan against ceasefire violations - May 15, 2011
- Infiltration bid foiled near Jammu: BSF (Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
Tags: b sangwan, border areas, border security force, breach, bsf, ceasefire, deputy inspector general, india pakistan, infiltration, infiltrators, intruders, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, pakistan border, pakistani rangers, pakistani territory, precaution, samba, vigil