4 die, 24 injured after Bhendi Bazar building collapses in MumbaiOctober 7th, 2010 - 10:14 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Oct.7 (ANI): At least four persons died and 24 others, including children, were injured on Thursday, after a multi-storey building collapsed in Mumbai’s popular market Bhendi Bazaar.
The incident occurred when a Jamnadas Building, located in Bhendi Bazar, collapsed in the morning.
According to local people, the incident was caused due to a cylinder blast in the building which left many people with burn injuries.
All injured, meanwhile, have been admitted to the Jamshedji Jeejebhoy (JJ) Hospital of the city.
Local Congress MLA Amin Patel visited the site of the mishap.
“Around 10.45 a.m to 11 a.m. this building collapsed. The building contains ground plus one floor in which 24 flats were there. I have just visited the hospital, 21 people are admitted in the hospital in which three children, less then 18 years and one man is in critical condition with 65 percent burn injury. I had a word with him as well. A total of five people have got burnt, while the remaining were in the building collapse,” said Patel.
He added that the mishap occurred after a cylinder blast in the building.
“The investigation work has not started yet. But locals informed that a cylinder blast in the building and some people got burn injuries. Because of that the building also collapsed. The firemen are engaged in clearance of debris. After the investigation, we will understand the reason behind the mishap. But our main focus at present is to rescue people who are still lying under the debris and to treat them safely,” said Patel.
Januddin Ahmed, a social activist, said four people were killed in the incident.
“Everything was going on forcefully (the rescue operation). Three people died on the way to hospital and one just in front of me and the remaining injured being treated in hospital. All workers were injured in the incident,” said Ahmed.
More people were feared trapped in the rubble and rescue operations continued till last reports arrived in the afternoon. (ANI)
- Jalandhar factory collapse: one dead, several trapped (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Four killed in Mumbai bakery cylinder blasts (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Jalandhar factory collapse kills two, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Seven killed in Rajasthan building collapses - Jun 05, 2012
- One dead as Himachal building collapses - Jul 11, 2011
- 34 killed, 80 hurt in Peshawar twin blasts (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2011
- Pakistan factory blast toll rises to 11 - Feb 07, 2012
- Five killed in Delhi building collapse - Jan 04, 2012
- 13 injured in Delhi fire - Jun 06, 2012
- Five killed in Mumbai building collapse - Oct 07, 2010
- Two killed in Delhi building collapse - May 17, 2011
- Five hurt in Delhi roof collapse - Dec 04, 2011
- Two killed, 15 injured in Pakistan building blast - Aug 04, 2012
- Six injured in Uttar Pradesh building collapse - Dec 29, 2010
- Several trapped as factory building collapses in Jalandhar (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: 18 years, amin, bazaar, building collapse, congress mla, critical condition, cylinder blast, debris, firemen, investigation work, locals, mishap, oct 7, rescue operations, rubble, social activist