35 more convicts sentenced in 1998 Coimbatore blast caseNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:51 am ICT by admin
Judge K Uthirapathi of the Sessions Court (Bomb Blast cases) set off the term against the period already spent by them as undertrials and ordered their release.
One of the accused, who has spent nine years in prison, said he had been framed.
“I was actually sentenced to three years in prison, but I have spent nine years in prison. None of the witnesses have spoken the truth so far. I just hope nobody faces a situation like this,” said Abdul Saleem, an accused.
The charges against the 35 accused include attempt to murder, rioting, arson and possession of explosives.
The court posted pronouncement of sentence for 7 others to October 15 pending receipt of remand particulars.
In the case, the prosecuting agency registered cases against 168. Of these, one accused died in prison and another turned approver.
Of the 166 accused, a total of 158 have been convicted of various charges, while eight have been acquitted.
Among the eight not found guilty are PDP leader Abdul Nasser Madhani. They were also released.
Seventy accused were found guilty of major charges like criminal conspiracy and murder.
The date for pronouncement of their and five others’ sentence would be fixed later.
On September 28, the court sentenced 41 persons to various terms of imprisonment, but released them after setting off their sentence period against the period already spent as undertrials.
Twelve blasts rocked the city on February 14, 1998 that killed 58 and injured over 200 others.
The blasts were targeted at a venue where senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L K Advani was scheduled to address a meeting.
In April 2000, a Special Court was formed to try the cases, and in the same year (October 2000), charges were framed.
The trial started in March 2002, and has till date examined 1,300 witnesses out of a total of 2,345.
The arguments began in June 2006 and ended on April 10, 2007.
The Special Investigation Team of Tamil Nadu Crime Branch-Criminal Investigation Department, which probed the cases, has argued that “Operation Allahu-Akbar”, was part of a conspiracy to eliminate Advani. (ANI)
- Court to pronounce sentence for 12 in 1998 Coimbatore blasts case - Nov 14, 2007
- Nine more convicts sentenced in 1998 Coimbatore blasts case - Nov 14, 2007
- Hawara, four held guilty for Delhi twin blasts in 2005 (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Maudany denied bail in Bangalore blast case (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Enough proof against Lajpat Nagar blast accused: Police (Lead) - Sep 20, 2011
- Al-Umma president gets life in 1998 Coimbatore blasts case (Lead: Coimbatore blast) - Nov 14, 2007
- Court to pronounce sentence to 70 in Coimbatore blasts case - Nov 14, 2007
- Rajiv Gandhi killers move court for stay of hanging - Aug 29, 2011
- Court sentences 10 more to life in connection with 1998 Coimbatore blasts case - Nov 14, 2007
- Lajpat Nagar blast: Police seek death for three - Sep 21, 2011
- Rajiv killers move high court; Karunanidhi backs plea (Night Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- Tributes paid to victims of Delhi High Court blast - Sep 07, 2012
- Ex-CWC official gets four-year jail term in graft case - Aug 17, 2012
- Court charges AIIMS officials with corruption - Aug 27, 2012
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination: three to hang Sep 9 (Lead) - Aug 26, 2011