344th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh celebratedJanuary 5th, 2010 - 6:08 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Amritsar, Jan. 5 (ANI): Devotees thronged to the Golden Temple on Tuesday in large numbers for a holy dip in the Golden Temple’s Sarovar or, the sacred pool on the occasion of 344th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh
The Sikh fraternity holds the occasion, which marks birth anniversary of Sikhs’ 10th master, in high esteem.
Golden Temple, also known as Harminder Sahib, the most important Sikh shrine in the world was illuminated for two days on this occasion. On Monday, fire crackers were burst in the late evening.
Devotees also participated in special prayer meetings. Langar or free meal event was also organized for devotees on this occasion.
Sikhs have been celebrating this annual event for generations. Earthen lamps are lit outside gurdwaras and sweets distributed among all.
Jaswinder Singh, information officer, Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak committee (SGPC), said that people across India celebrate the festival with great fervor. (ANI)
- Devotees visit Amritsar's Golden Temple on Baisakhi - Apr 14, 2011
- Prayers, devotion mark Gurpurab in Punjab, Haryana - Nov 10, 2011
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- "Nagar Kirtan" taken out to mark Guru Granth Sahib's installation day - Sep 01, 2009
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
- Sikh bodies divided over change in Guru Tegh Bahadur martyrdom date - Nov 24, 2010
- SGPC sends first Sikh jatha to Bangladesh - Nov 29, 2010
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
- Punjab celebrates Gurpurab - Nov 21, 2010
- From translation screens to ACs, gurdwaras go hi-tech (Feature) - May 02, 2012
- Sikh committee organizes plantation drive in Amritsar - Apr 09, 2011
Tags: amritsar, birth anniversary, devotees, fervor, fire crackers, golden temple, gurdwara, gurdwaras, guru gobind singh, harminder sahib, holy dip, information officer, jaswinder singh, late evening, prayer meetings, sacred pool, sarovar, sgpc, sikhs, special prayer