30 dead in Jammu and Kashmir bus accident (Third Lead)May 4th, 2009 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 4 (IANS) At least 30 people, including 12 women, were killed when the bus they were travelling in fell into the Chenab River in Jammu and Kashmir’s hilly Kishtwar district Monday morning, police said.
Army was called for the rescue operation which “has concluded and there is no hope of any survivor”, said a police officer.
The mini bus, with a capacity of 20 but carrying over 35 passengers, fell almost 500 feet down a gorge into the river at about 9 a.m. near Bandarkot village, about 240 km from here, according to police.
Police said 20 people died on the spot. Another five succumbed while being taken to hospital. Besides, at least five bodies have been fished out from the river.
Five seriously injured victims were airlifted to Jammu.
Police said the driver of the bus apparently failed to negotiate a sharp curve on a narrow stretch of hilly terrain.
The bus, carrying mostly government employees, was on its way from Kishtwar to Chhatroo.
Accidents on mountainous roads in the Jammu region are common because of the hilly terrain and bad road conditions.
- 27 killed as bus falls into river (Second Lead) - May 04, 2009
- 20 killed in Kashmir accident (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- 20 feared dead in bus mishap - Feb 10, 2012
- 27 killed in road accident in Jammu and Kashmir (Lead) - May 04, 2009
- Mini-bus with 25 people falls in Jammu river, two escape - Jul 23, 2010
- 20 killed in road accident in Jammu and Kashmir - May 04, 2009
- 5 die as bus falls into george in Jammu - Sep 07, 2012
- 9 killed in two road accidents in Jammu region - Mar 24, 2012
- 15 Ladakh artists killed in Himachal bus accident - Aug 15, 2011
- 10 killed, 20 injured in Jammu and Kashmir accident - Mar 15, 2011
- 27 killed, 21 injured in accidents in northeast - Jul 21, 2012
- 16 killed in Kashmir road accident - Aug 20, 2011
- 18 killed in Mizoram bus accident - Jul 21, 2012
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu accident - Jul 15, 2012
- 35 injured in bus accident in Rajouri - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: accidents, army, bus accident, chenab river, curve, government employees, hilly terrain, jammu and kashmir, jammu region, kashmir, kishtwar, mini bus, monday morning, morning police, narrow stretch, police officer, police police, road conditions, survivor