2G scam: CBI gets five-day remand of Raja, othersFebruary 3rd, 2011 - 5:45 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 3 (ANI): The Patiala House Court on Thursday granted the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) a five-day remand of former Telecom Minister A Raja, his personal secretary RK Chandolia and former telecom secretary Siddharth Behuria.
The CBI counsel told the court that the three accused have caused a loss of Rs 2200 crore to the exchequer and there is a need for joint interrogation of them.
Earlier, Special CBI Judge O P Saini grants Raja’s counsel 10-minute private conversation with the former minister.
The CBI arrested Raja along with his personal secretary Chandolia and former telecom secretary Behura on Wednesday in connection with the scam.
The investigating agency questioned Raja for the fourth time on Wednesday. He was questioned earlier on December 24 and 25 last year and on January 31.
The Supreme Court has asked the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate (ED) to submit status reports on their investigations into the 2G scam to it by February 10, when the case will come up for hearing.
Earlier this week, a report by a one-man commission, Justice Shivraj Patil, was handed over to new Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal. Justice Patil was asked in December to look into whether officials in the Telecom Ministry had, since 1991, violated government procedures and guidelines for allocating spectrum.
The CBI in its first information report had mentioned the loss as Rs.22, 000 crore based on the findings of Central Vigilance Commission, which had referred the case to it.
Raja was forced to resign from Union Cabinet last year after a report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) faulted him for undervaluing spectrum to favour companies who were largely ineligible for 2G spectrum, and added that the government had probably lost Rs.1.76 lakh crore in estimated revenue. (ANI)
- CBI arrests A Raja in 2G scam - Feb 02, 2011
- Raja's arrest will not affect ties with DMK, says Congress spokesman - Feb 02, 2011
- 2G scam: DMK backs former Telecom Minister Raja - Feb 03, 2011
- Sibal blames NDA, says all spectrum decisions since 2003-08 were wrong - Feb 04, 2011
- 2G scam: Raja in CBI custody for two more days - Feb 08, 2011
- Govt. has made itself a 'laughing stock', says Jayalalithaa on Raja's arrest - Feb 03, 2011
- Raja's arrest does not affect credibility of PM, Govt.: Congress - Feb 02, 2011
- 2G scam: CBI to seek extension of Raja's custody - Feb 08, 2011
- Opposition demands for JPC probe into 2G scam is correct: Nitish Kumar - Feb 02, 2011
- 2G scam: PM did not act fast against Raja, says BJP - Feb 02, 2011
- Raja offers to resign from DMK party post - Feb 03, 2011
- 2G scam: DMK general council to assess impact of Raja's arrest - Feb 03, 2011
- 2G scam: CBI to file first charge sheet against Raja, others - Mar 27, 2011
- 2G scam: CBI to file status report in Supreme Court - Mar 29, 2011
- 2G scam: Raja remanded to CBI custody for four more days - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: cbi, central bureau of investigation, central vigilance commission, comptroller and auditor general, crore, enforcement directorate, government procedures, information report, interrogation, investigating agency, kapil sibal, new telecom, patiala house court, personal secretary, private conversation, remand, saini, siddharth, telecom ministry, union cabinet