29 Skeletons from Gouthami Express sent for forensic identificationAugust 2nd, 2008 - 8:15 pm ICT by ANI
Warangal (Andhra Pradesh), August 2 (ANI): Skeletons of 29 passengers from the five gutted coaches of the Secunderabad-Kakinada Gouthami Express were today shifted to a government hospital in Warangal to identify the victims.
According to Railway sources, DNA tests will be conducted on the charred remains to establish the identity of the victims.
The dead bodies of two women passengers were identified on Friday and the body of another passenger is yet to be recovered.
At least 32 people perished in the massive fire, which engulfed five coaches of the train while it was speeding at 100 kilometers per hour near Kesamudram station in Warangal District of Andhra Pradesh.
The fire broke out in one of the sleeper coaches, S-9, on the moving train, proceeding from Secunderabad to Kakinada around 1:30 a.m. and soon spread to four other coaches, Railway sources said.
The gutted bogies have been shifted to Kazipet junction near Warangal to enable experts to conduct a probe in a more organised manner, the officials said.
The injured are undergoing treatment at MGM government hospital in Andhra Pradesh.
Meanwhile, train services between the Warangal and Mehboobabad sections in Andhra Pradesh have been restored today.
Railways Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav expressed his profound grief at the tragedy and has announced an ex-gratia amount of Rs. five lakh for the next of kin of the deceased along with a job in the Railways and Rs. one Lakh to the grievously injured. (ANI)
- 35 burnt alive in Tamil Nadu Express blaze (Fifth Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- One of worst train disasters in Andhra - May 22, 2012
- Andhra proposes 35 new trains for railway budget - Jan 19, 2011
- Ill-fated Tamil Nadu Express reaches Chennai (Fourth Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Blockade brings Telangana train traffic to a standstill (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- 18 train fire victims remain unidentified - Jul 31, 2012
- Hyderabad, other parts of Telangana hit by rail blockade (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Telangana rail blockade to hit movement of trains - Jul 13, 2011
- Telangana supporters paralyse rail traffic for separate state (Third Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- 47 trains cancelled to foil Telangana million march - Mar 10, 2011
- Truck falls over train, 13 trains cancelled - May 16, 2011
- 147 trains cancelled in view of Telangana blockade (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Death toll rises to 32 in Gautami Express fire accident (Update) - Aug 01, 2008
- 15 killed as Hampi Express hits stationary train in Andhra (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- 35 burnt alive as Tamil Nadu Express catches fire (Third Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, bogies, dead bodies, dna tests, forensic identification, gouthami, government hospital, kilometers per hour, lakh, lalu prasad yadav, massive fire, mgm, moving train, profound grief, railways, rs one, secunderabad, skeletons, sleeper coaches, undergoing treatment