27 Tibetans arrested for carrying ‘torch relay’ on secured Olympic routeApril 15th, 2008 - 8:08 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Apr.15 (ANI): Delhi Police had to swing quickly into action on Tuesday afternoon to nab about 27 Tibetans as they attempted to take out their own “torch relay” on the route of the Olympic flame run here to demonstrate against Chinese “atrocities” in their homeland.
Twenty-seven Tibetans, including nine women, managed to run almost the entire stretch of Rajpath, the designated route for the April 17 Olympic torch relay, and entered into a minor clash with the police as they attempted to douse the flame.
The protesters suddenly emerged on Rajpath, about a kilometre from Rashtrapati Bhavan from where the relay is scheduled to start, at around 3:00 p.m. and started running towards India Gate, where the original run is to culminate.
However, police intervened and doused the torch. Security was immediately intensified in the area.
In the melee, a police officer and a woman protester suffered minor burn injuries.
All 27 Tibetans were arrested, a senior police official said.
Meanwhile, Bollywood actor Soha Ali Khan on Tuesday said that she would not taking part in the Olympic torch relay for “strong personal reasons.”
“I fully support the Olympic relay and am saddened at the disruptions in its path in various parts of the world as well as the violence in Tibet. But I can’t run due to strong personal reasons,” Soha told reporters.
On suggestions from sports fraternity that only sportspersons should run the Olympic torch relay, Soha said representatives from various fields belonging to the country through which torch relay passes, should be welcomed to run. (ANI)
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- Global torch relay to focus attention on Tibet - Sep 02, 2012
- Olympic cauldron extinguished for move - Jul 30, 2012
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Rupert Grint carries the Olympic torch - Jul 26, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Olympic flame moved and later re-lit - Jul 31, 2012
- Tibetan immolates self outside Chinese embassy - Nov 04, 2011
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
Tags: atrocities, clash, delhi police, disruptions, fraternity, india gate, kilometre, melee, New Delhi, olympic flame, olympic torch relay, personal reasons, police officer, police official, protesters, soha ali khan, tibet, tibetans, tuesday afternoon, woman protester