27 killed as bus falls into river (Second Lead)May 4th, 2009 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 4 (IANS) At least 27 people were killed and five injured when the mini bus they were travelling in fell into the Chenab river Jammu and Kashmir’s Kishtwar district Monday morning, police said.
The mini bus with a capacity of 20 passengers was carrying over 30 people when it fell almost 500 feet into the river near Bandarkot village, about 240 km from here. The accident occurred at about 9 a.m.
Police said the bus was carrying mostly government employees from Kishtwar to Chhatroo.
Twenty-two people died on the spot while five succumbed to their injuries while being taken to hospital.
Police said the injured were shifted to Jammu by helicopter. Army divers were involved in the rescue operations.
Preliminary investigations revealed that the driver of the bus was not able to negotiate a steep curve on the narrow road when another vehicle was coming from the opposite direction.
- 27 killed in road accident in Jammu and Kashmir (Lead) - May 04, 2009
- 30 dead in Jammu and Kashmir bus accident (Third Lead) - May 04, 2009
- 20 killed in road accident in Jammu and Kashmir - May 04, 2009
- Mini-bus with 25 people falls in Jammu river, two escape - Jul 23, 2010
- 20 feared dead in bus mishap - Feb 10, 2012
- 9 killed in two road accidents in Jammu region - Mar 24, 2012
- 20 killed in Kashmir accident (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- 21 killed, nine injured as bus falls into Chenab river in Jammu - May 04, 2009
- 27 killed, 21 injured in accidents in northeast - Jul 21, 2012
- 5 die as bus falls into george in Jammu - Sep 07, 2012
- 25 killed in Kashmir road accident (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2009
- 29 die in Nepal bus accident - Sep 11, 2012
- 15 Ladakh artists killed in Himachal bus accident - Aug 15, 2011
- 16 killed in Kashmir road accident - Aug 20, 2011
- 6 killed, 34 injured in Kashmir road mishap (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010