26 missing in Jammu and Kashmir bus accident (Lead)June 7th, 2009 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 7 (IANS) At least 26 people were missing after a mini bus with 30 people on board swerved off a mountain road and plunged into a swollen river in Jammu and Kashmir’s Doda district Sunday.
Two women, a child and the conductor fell out of the bus as it rolled down into the Chenab river, and were seriously injured. Police said chances of survival of the missing passengers were “remote”.
The missing passengers could be drowned, but no dead body was recovered as the “current of water in the river is very fast and it is swollen also”, a police officer said.
According to the injured passengers, there were about 30 people, including the driver and the conductor, in the bus when the accident occurred at Karara in Doda district, about 180 km northeast of Jammu.
District police chief Prabhat Singh told reporters that the bus, with a capacity of 26 people, rolled down 500 feet from the highway into the swollen Chenab river in the morning.
“We have no idea about the casualty as yet. But there is very remote chance of survival (of any passenger),” he said.
“The bus is completely submerged and we cannot see it. The Indian Army has been pressed into rescue, but the rapid current and deep water are hampering the operation.”
Singh said the four survivors have been shifted to a hospital. “They are in deep shock,” he said.
Mountainous roads in Jammu region are notorious for road accidents. At least 30 people were killed in May near Kishtwar in an accident.
The accidents are mostly attributed to overloading of passenger buses, poor maintenance of vehicles, and shabby road conditions coupled with lack of mountain driving skills.
- Bus mishap in Doda, many could be killed: police - Jun 07, 2009
- 20 feared dead in bus mishap - Feb 10, 2012
- 30 missing after vehicle falls into river - Nov 05, 2011
- 20 killed in Kashmir accident (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- 8 killed as bus falls into gorge in Jammu - Aug 21, 2012
- 24 feared dead as bus plunges into Chenab River in J-K - Jun 07, 2009
- Mini-bus with 25 people falls in Jammu river, two escape - Jul 23, 2010
- 15 killed, many injured in Kashmir road accident - Sep 07, 2009
- 9 killed in two road accidents in Jammu region - Mar 24, 2012
- Rain continues in Jammu, many trapped - Aug 05, 2012
- Five die as vehicle falls into gorge in J&K; - May 28, 2012
- 25 killed in Kashmir road accident (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2009
- Kashmir's historic town soon to be history! - Jul 10, 2011
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu accident - Jul 15, 2012
- 35 injured in bus accident in Rajouri - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: bus accident, chenab river, conductor, deep water, district police, doda district, indian army, jammu and kashmir, jammu district, karara, kashmir, kishtwar, mini bus, passenger buses, police chief, police officer, poor maintenance, prabhat, road accidents, road conditions