25 wounded, youth’s death triggers protests in SrinagarMay 27th, 2009 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 27 (IANS) At least 25 people, including eight troopers, were injured in the Jammu and Kashmir summer capital Wednesday in violent protests against the death of a youth, who was hit by a police teargas shell last week.
Situation in the old city was volatile as stone pelting groups of youth clashed with police and troopers, a police official said.
Arif Ayoub, a Class 10 student, was allegedly hit in the head by a teargas shell fired by the police last Friday. He succumbed to his injuries Wednesday in a hospital sparking violent protests in parts of the old city.
The injured included five Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers and three Border Security Force (BSF) personnel whose ambulance was stoned by mobs, the official said.
- Senior cop among 30 injured in Kashmir clashes - Nov 07, 2011
- Two youth injured in Srinagar, separatist march foiled (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
- Army convoy attacked in Kashmir - Feb 03, 2010
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- Youth killed in Sopore as mob defies curfew - Jun 27, 2010
- Two critically injured in continuing Kashmir violence - Sep 12, 2010
- One killed in protests, Srinagar tense (Second lead) - Jun 20, 2010
- Two injured in police firing during Kashmir protests - Feb 21, 2010
- Mosque area tense, many held for stoning cops (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Three killed in Kashmir firing, over 50 injured (Night Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Over 40 injured in violent protests in Kashmir (Lead) - Feb 03, 2010
- 10 injured in Kashmir clashes - Apr 15, 2010
- Youth dies in Srinagar violence - Jan 31, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir firing, toll rises to 57 (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Mosque area tense, two held for stoning cops (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012