25 killed in Assam as violence escalatesOctober 5th, 2008 - 8:44 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Oct 5 (ANI): Over 25 people have been killed in communal clashes in Assam as the situation turned critical between the local tribals and Bangladeshi migrants in Udalguri and Darrang Districts of the state, according to unconfirmed reports.
Today, the violence spread to Rauta village in Udalguri District, about 80 kms east of Guwahati, where a large number of houses have been burnt down.
On Saturday, the Assam Government had issued shoot-at-sight orders in curfew-bound Udalguri District to paramilitary forces and the Army in order to curb the violence.
The shoot at sight orders was extended today to the areas where the violence has spread.
Since Friday, more than 200 houses were set ablaze in about six villages. Army has been deployed in the area. According to reports, thousands of villagers have fled their homes and are now sheltering in makeshift relief camps set up by the police. The provocation for the clashes was allegedly an attack on a group of Village Defence Party (VDP) volunteers belonging to the tribal Bodo community by members of a religious minority group on Friday. (ANI)
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Normalcy returns to violence-hit Assam districts - Oct 07, 2008
- Assam clashes: Shoot-at-sight orders - Oct 04, 2008
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 16 killed in Assam clashes, 10,000 displaced - Oct 05, 2008
- Two militants held in Assam - Jul 01, 2012
- Violence rages in Assam, death toll 25 (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam burns, 32 dead, thousands homeless (Night Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Seven killed in Assam clashes, shoot at sight orders issued - Oct 04, 2008
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam ministers rush to violence-hit Kokrajhar - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam violence toll rises to 51 - Oct 08, 2008
- It's time for healing: PM tells Assam victims (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: army, assam government, bangladeshi migrants, communal clashes, escalates, guwahati, kms east, minority group, oct 5, paramilitary forces, provocation, relief camps, religious minority, tribals, violence, volunteers