24 times the size of hens egg, one Ostrich egg is perfect for large family!May 4th, 2008 - 12:59 pm ICT by admin
London, May 4 (ANI): Sitting for breakfast but dont know what to have? Why dont you try the latest offering in Britains stores an ostrich egg 24 times the size of a normal hen’s!
The eggs come from free-range birds on a Lincolnshire farm
Waitrose, the supermarket chain, has just started selling the eggs, which can weigh in at almost 4.4lb.
Diners are advised that a simple tap of a spoon is unlikely to break the shell - a roasting spike or a domestic drill is more suitable.
And those hoping to “go to work on ostrich egg” might think twice and save that particular treat for the weekend, as they can take an hour to boil.
They can also be hard-boiled, scrambled and fried - with a very large frying pan - just like chicken or duck eggs, said a spokesman.
“They are also very good for meringues because the white is much lighter than chickens’ eggs,” the Telegraph quoted the rep, as saying.
Waitrose has introduced the eggs, which cost 15.99 pounds, at 19 stores and hopes to attract cooks looking to experiment.
The eggs, from specialist egg supplier Clarence Court, come from free-range birds on a Lincolnshire farm which only lay once every three days or so.
Lisa Rowe, director of Clarence Court, said: “The largest egg of any bird species, this product promises to be talking point at very large breakfast tables across the country.” (ANI)
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Hen sits on wrong nest, hatches ducklings - Apr 04, 2012
- Dalai Lama speaks out against caging egg-laying hens (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Confining egg-laying hens in cages cruel: Dalai Lama - Sep 01, 2010
- Bird flu detected on Bangladesh farm - Nov 15, 2011
- Eggs that bounce like rubber hit China markets - Feb 10, 2012
- Eggshells reveal birds' evolutionary secrets - Jan 04, 2012
- Ostrich is animal, conclude legislators in Pakistan - Jul 20, 2012
- Recipes by celebrity NRI chef Vikas Khanna (To go with: 'No secrets in kitchen' is celebrity Indian chef's mantra) - May 08, 2012
- Animals in confined shelters harm human health - Jan 11, 2012
- Starving hens to hasten molting is now an offence - Mar 11, 2011
- Indian parantha with American omelette - enjoy! (Eating out with IANS) - Jun 14, 2010
- Convicted terrorist throws tantrum after coming second in jail egg race - Sep 06, 2010
- 700,000 Britons now keep hens for eggs - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: bird species, birds, breakfast tables, chickens, clarence court, cooks, diners, duck eggs, egg supplier, frying pan, hens, lincolnshire, lisa rowe, meringues, ostrich egg, spike, spokesman, spoon, supermarket chain, waitrose