24 feared dead as bus plunges into Chenab River in J-KJune 7th, 2009 - 9:56 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, June 7 (ANI): At least 24 passengers were feared dead on Sunday morning after a bus carrying them plunged into a swollen Chenab River after skidding off the road in Jammu and Kashmir’s Doda district.
The incident reportedly took place, 180 kilometres from Jammu, after the driver of the 26-seater bus, carrying over 30 passengers, lost control of his vehicle.
“Five people who jumped out of the bus in time, when it started veering off the road, survived with minor injuries,’ a police spokesman said.
Police said chances of survival of the missing passengers were “remote”.
The missing passengers could be drowned, but no dead body was recovered as the “current of water in the river is very fast and it is swollen also”, a police officer said.
According to the District police chief Prabhat Singh, the bus, with a capacity of 26 people, rolled down 500 feet from the highway into the swollen Chenab River in the morning.
“We have no idea about the casualty as yet. But there is very remote chance of anyone’s survival. The bus is completely submerged and we cannot see it. The Indian Army has been pressed into rescue service, but the rapid current and deep water are hampering the operation,” Singh told media persons here. (ANI)
- 26 missing in Jammu and Kashmir bus accident (Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Bus mishap in Doda, many could be killed: police - Jun 07, 2009
- 30 missing after vehicle falls into river - Nov 05, 2011
- 20 feared dead in bus mishap - Feb 10, 2012
- Mini-bus with 25 people falls in Jammu river, two escape - Jul 23, 2010
- 20 killed in Kashmir accident (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Rain continues in Jammu, many trapped - Aug 05, 2012
- 15 killed, many injured in Kashmir road accident - Sep 07, 2009
- 15 Indians killed in Nepal accident (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 36 Indian pilgrims die in Nepal bus crash (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 15 Indians killed as jeep falls into Nepal river (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 25 killed in Kashmir road accident (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2009
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu accident - Jul 15, 2012
- 15 pilgrims killed in Jammu bus accident (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu bus accident (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: bus plunges, casualty, chenab river, deep water, district police, doda district, indian army, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kilometres, media persons, minor injuries, police chief, police officer, police spokesman, seater bus, srinagar, sunday morning, survival