22 orphan girls enter wedlock at marriage ceremony in VaranasiNovember 21st, 2009 - 10:16 pm ICT by ANI
Varanasi, Nov 21(ANI): It is a moment that every girl waits for with great enthusiasm. And, for the 22 orphan girls in Varanasi, that moment came on Friday when the district administration helped them solemnize their marriage in a mass wedding.
The aim of the ceremony was to help the destitutes, who were separated from their parents at a very young age.
“We select prospective bridegrooms through a definite process and a lot of deliberations after these girls attain marriageable age. Public donations play a huge role in making the ceremony a success. The ceremony is performed with fervour and gaiety,” said Nalin Awashti, Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Varanasi.
Both brides and bridegrooms were decked-up in their fineries. Brides had smeared their palms with mehendi, had bangles in their wrists and had put on red attire, while bridegrooms were in suites, befitting the occasion.
“I am very happy. I have forgotten my past life and I want to forget the rest of it. I was separated from my parents at a tender age. I have been transferred here from another institute from Mumbai,” said Varsha, a bride.
After the function, the marriages were registered under the Hindu marriage Act of 1973.
The grooms and brides also expressed their gratitude for the help and support provided to them by the administration. (ANI)
- Bridegroom arrested after father demands dowry - May 13, 2011
- Groom stranded as bride flees with money - Sep 03, 2012
- Mock marriage held for good husbands in Orissa - Oct 03, 2009
- Tipsy cop kills girl in celebratory firing - Jun 28, 2012
- Vivek To Dress As a Royal Prince For His Wedding - Oct 30, 2010
- Wedding wows! 120-year-old man marries 60-year-old - Oct 28, 2011
- Ceremonies begin at Sania Mirza's house - Apr 13, 2010
- Bigg Boss 4: Sara Hides Behind Burqa, Misses All The Fun - Nov 11, 2010
- Prince William's 'small family affair' quip to calm Middletons' wedding nerves - Apr 30, 2011
- Man arrested for marrying minor - Jun 17, 2010
- Pakistan Army helps 45 couples tie the knot - Jan 26, 2011
- Sania, Shoaib are now husband and wife (Third Lead) - Apr 12, 2010
- A long, endless wait at Ranchi women's remand home - May 24, 2011
- Apex court grants murder convict parole to marry - Jun 21, 2012
- Band baaja baarat on Delhi streets Tuesday - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,