18 live bombs diffused in Surat (Update)July 29th, 2008 - 10:58 pm ICT by ANI
Surat , July 29 (ANI): At least 18 live bombs have been found in different places in the Varachha area of Surat today.
According to police, all the bombs were defused and they all were of low intensity.
The first two bombs were found in Labheshwar and Santoshinagar areas of Varacha. They were kept inside an abandoned bag. A third was found hanging on a tree behind the Matavadi Police outpost in the Varacha area this morning.
The police have sounded a ”high alert” in the city in the wake of live bombs being found within a span of few hours.
The bomb contents have been sent to a forensic science lab for analysis, police said.
On Monday, the bomb disposal squad had successfully defused a live bomb in Varacha.
A sketch of a suspect, who had allegedly parked the explosive-laden car in the Heerabaugh area on Sunday, has been released to the police.
It is based on a description given by a watchman of a nearby building who had seen the man parking the vehicle.
On Sunday, police recovered two explosive-laden cars from two different parts of the city.
Large amount of explosives, shrapnels and timing devices were found in the cars bearing fake number plates.
Meanwhile, situation in blast hit areas of Ahmedabad is returning to normalcy.
The police have intensified the investigation into Saturday’’s serial blasts, with 14 days remand of Abdul Halim an activist of banned outfit of Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
Police is also interrogating several other people in this connection.
At least 45 people were killed and over 100 others injured in serial blasts in Ahmedabad on Saturday evening when 16 coordinated serial blasts ripped through the metropolis a day after multiple explosions rocked Bangalore .
Whereas on Friday, eight bomb blasts rocked Bangalore , leaving two dead and 20 injured. On Saturday, a ninth unexploded bomb was found in Bangalore s Koramangala area. (ANI)
- Several live bombs found in Surat, claim police - Jul 29, 2008
- Explosive-laden car detected in Srinagar - May 17, 2012
- Surat administration orders full-day closure of all institutions - Jul 30, 2008
- 19th bomb found in Surat, Modi announces Rs 51 lakh for blast related information - Jul 30, 2008
- LeT car-bomber module busted in Srinagar - Jun 14, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Two cars loaded with explosives found in Surat (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2008
- Two more live bombs found in Surat - Jul 29, 2008
- Police to match explosive samples with Georgia, Bangkok bombs - Feb 14, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- No headway in Delhi High Court blast case: Pillai - May 28, 2011
- Three dead in shrine blast in northern Pakistan - Feb 05, 2011
- Suicide car bombing kills 14 in Afghanistan (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- 25th bomb defused in Surat - Aug 09, 2008
- 10 die in Afghanistan airport suicide blast - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: abdul halim, ahmedabad, bomb blasts, bomb disposal squad, bombs, different places, explosions, forensic science, islamic movement, koramangala, metropolis, normalcy, number plates, police outpost, saturday evening, science lab, serial blasts, timing devices, unexploded bomb, watchman