172 million Chinese using Internet by September 2007November 14th, 2007 - 2:09 am ICT by admin
The figure, announced by MII Vice Minister Lou Qinjian at the Ninth Hi-tech Fair in Shenzhen on Friday, indicates that more than 100 Chinese have access to the Internet every minute.
Lou said the ministry expected the figure to reach 200 million, about 15 percent of the population, by 2010 at an annual growth rate of eight percent, as stated in its fifth five-year plan (2006-2010).
However, the figure would easily top 200 million no later than the end of next year, if the growth rate in the past three months were maintained.
The number of Internet users in rural areas in the first nine months was unavailable, but the number stood at 37.41 million by the end of June, approximately 5.1 percent of the rural population. (ANI)
- China issues white paper on poverty reduction - Nov 16, 2011
- China's slowdown hurts corporate profits - Aug 19, 2012
- A third of Chinese people used the Internet in 2010: Report - Jan 20, 2011
- Seniors are fastest growing segment of US population - Dec 01, 2011
- BEL net dips 16 percent in 2011-12 - Apr 24, 2012
- China stocks plummet after US credit downgrade - Aug 08, 2011
- Chinese farmers fuelling galloping Internet users growth: Blue paper - Oct 08, 2010
- Brazil's jobless rate hits nine-year low - Dec 23, 2011
- China's GDP growth sees moderate slowdown (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- China's internet population is 485 million - Jul 19, 2011
- China's 'empty-nest families' on rise - Jul 28, 2012
- Sex ratio of Haryana improves - Aug 12, 2011
- 3.2 mn Indians are third-largest growing Asian group in US - Mar 22, 2012
- Philippine population reaches 92.34 million - Apr 10, 2012
- BEL records marginal sales growth in 2011-12 - Apr 02, 2012
Tags: annual growth rate, first nine months, hi tech, information industry, mii, ministry of information, number of internet users, rural areas, shenzhen, three months, total population, using internet, vice minister