15th Lok Sabha’s first session to begin on June 1: Govt.May 23rd, 2009 - 9:08 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 23 (ANI): The first meeting of the Union Cabinet has decided to hold the first session of the 15th Lok Sabha between June 1 to 9.
Union Minister P.Chidambaram here told reporters on Saturday that the decision in this regard was taken at the first meeting of the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
President Pratibha Patil will address the joint sitting of Parliament on June 4, the day when Rajya Sabha will commence its session on the same day.
During the Cabinet meet, Prime Minister Dr. Singh said that the UPA has made a number of promises and “we have promises to keep.”
Meanwhile, the newly-elected members will take oath on June 1 and 2 and the election for the Lok Sabha Speaker’s post will be held on June 3.
There will be a discussion on Motion of Thanks to President’s address on June 5, 8 and 9, Chidambaram said adding that there would be a short break after that.
Chidambaram also informed that the process of passing the General Budget has to be completed by July 31 failing which a Vote on Account will be approved.
A day after taking the oath of office and secrecy as Prime Minister of the country, Dr. Singh visited Mahatma Gandhi’s memorial at Rajghat and those of other departed leaders and placed a wreath on them on Saturday morning.
Dr. Singh was sworn-in as Prime Minister for a second term along with 19 other Cabinet ministers including new entrants S M Krishna and Mamata Banerjee.
The 76-year-old economist-politician was sworn in along with senior members of his previous team, Pranab Mukherjee, P Chidambaram, Sharad Pawar and A K Antony.
The 19 ministers, all of Cabinet rank, include Ghulam Nabi Azad, Veerappa Moily, new entrant Rajasthan PCC chief C P Joshi and Anand Sharma and B K Handique, who were promoted from the previous ministry.
Others inducted were S Jaipal Reddy, Kamal Nath, Vayalar Ravi, Meira Kumar, Murli Deora, Kapil Sibal, Ambika Soni and Sushil Kumar Shinde.
Another group of ministers is expected to be sworn-in on coming Tuesday.
On Saturday, the new Government at the Centre announced portfolios of six ministers.
Under the latest scheme of things, P. Chidambaram gets Home Ministry, A.K.Antony; the Defense Ministry, Pranab Mukherjee; the Finance Ministry, S.M. Krishna; the External Affairs ministry, Mamta Banerjee; the Railway Ministry, and Sharad Pawar; the ministry of Agriculture, Food and Civil Supplies, Consumers Affairs. (ANI)
- UPA Govt. announces six portfolios, S.M.Krishna to be new External Affairs minister - May 23, 2009
- Ministers who matter in Manmohan's cabinet - Sep 06, 2012
- Ajit Singh sworn-in as cabinet minister (Second Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Has Antony replaced Pranab as number two in cabinet? - Jul 13, 2012
- In Team Manmohan, Kamal Nath richest, Antony poorest (Roundup) - Sep 03, 2011
- 19 ministers to be sworn in - May 22, 2009
- Manmohan Singh calls first Cabinet meet today - May 23, 2009
- Something old, something new in recast Team Manmohan (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Team Anna attacks Manmohan, Chidambaram and Pranab (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Pawar gives into Hazare's demand, quits GoM on corruption - Apr 06, 2011
- After Pranab, Mamata grabs eyeballs at central hall (Sidelights) - Jul 25, 2012
- Four new faces in union cabinet, Arjun Singh left out (Lead) - May 22, 2009
- PM reviews performance of ministers - Jun 09, 2011
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: ambika soni, anand sharma, dr singh, ghulam nabi azad, jaipal reddy, kamal nath, kapil sibal, Lok Sabha, mahatma gandhi, manmohan singh, meira kumar, murli deora, p chidambaram, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, sharad pawar, sushil kumar, vayalar ravi