1,500 yr old cemetery found in IranSeptember 9th, 2008 - 1:52 pm ICT by ANI
Tehran, September 9 (ANI): Archeologists have discovered a burial ground and a unique burial ritual dating back to Sassanid and post-Islamic eras in northern Iran, around 1,500 years ago.
According to a report in Press TV, recent excavations in the northern province of Mazandaran uncovered a burial ground, and brought to light a unique burial ritual.
Nails were discovered around the ancient bodies, but archeologists say that these did not come from any coffin.
The nails were found in a deliberate pattern.
One nail was found beside the knee, one beside the left shoulder, some on top of the head and a few others under the feet.
The specific practice has not been observed in any other historical study. Archeologists therefore believe the discovery of the burial ground could be of great importance.
The graves all belong to young people and children, and the nail patterns have turned into a puzzle which archeologists are keen to try and solve.
Silver spoons and bracelets, as well as turquoise beads were found near graves.
Further studies of the burial site and the relics are expected to reveal more clues as to the meaning behind the nails, and the identities of those buried. (ANI)
- Archaeologists unearth pre-Islamic graveyard in northern Iran - Sep 15, 2008
- Nails were used in burials of females during the early Islamic era - Sep 22, 2008
- Dabaoen Temple's miniature stupa may hold Buddha's remains - Jun 13, 2010
- Roman Gladiator Cemetery Discovered In Northern England - Jun 08, 2010
- Anthropologists discover earliest cemetery in Jordan - Feb 03, 2011
- 'Vampire' skeletons discovered in Bulgaria - Jun 06, 2012
- Archaeologists discover late-Roman cemetery in Lincolnshire - Jul 15, 2010
- Han Dynasty city ruins discovered in China's Inner Mongolia - Nov 12, 2009
- Remnants of boozy village discovered beneath downtown San Francisco - Jan 07, 2011
- Archeologists Unearth Palaeolithic Funeral Feast In Israel - Sep 02, 2010
- 9,000 yr old mysterious burial ritual discovered in Iran - May 18, 2009
- Richard III remains found in Leicester - Sep 12, 2012
- Sassanid fire temple found in central Iran - Jul 06, 2010
- Li Xiufeng wakes up from the dead - Feb 29, 2012
- 93 tombs belonging to Warring States Period, Han Dynasty unearthed - May 28, 2010