150 Chennai lawyers arrested for protesting against Madras HC violenceFebruary 20th, 2009 - 4:54 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Feb 20 (ANI): Over 150 lawyers were arrested on Friday for participating in a protest march outside the Tamil Nadu secretariat. They were agitating against the violence in the Madras High Court complex on Thursday.
Madras Bar Association President S. Prabhakaran was also arrested.
Earlier, the lawyers agitation issue dominated proceedings in the Tamil Nadu Assembly.
As soon as the session started, opposition members demanded that the Question Hour be postponed to discuss Thursdays violence in which more than 100 lawyers were injured.
The Madras High Court has ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the violence.
Over 100 lawyers were injured outside the Madras High Court after police baton charged them for attacking Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy.
The agitation has led the Supreme Court to issue separate notice to the Registrar General, Madras High Court, the Bar Council of India, the Bar council of Tamil Nadu, the Madras High Court Advocates Association and the Madras Bar Association to explain their decision to boycott High Court proceedings.
A three-judge bench of Chief Justice K. G. Balakrishnan, Justice J. M. Panchal and Justice A. K. Ganguly issued the notices on receiving a petition filed by a former teacher of the National Law School, Bangalore. (ANI)
- Supreme Court advances hearing on Madras HC lawyers'' strike - Feb 23, 2009
- Madras HC lawyers boycott talks with government in Chennai - Feb 24, 2009
- Shoot at sight orders issued in Tamil Nadu - Feb 21, 2009
- Lawyers seek help for Madras High Court judge - Nov 02, 2011
- Apex court takes over Rajiv assassins' mercy pleas (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Supreme Court asks why Tamil Nadu lawyers go frequently on strike - Feb 19, 2009
- Lawsuit against lawyers' 'unruly' behaviour - Dec 11, 2009
- Supreme Court notice to TN lawyers over frequent strikes - Feb 19, 2009
- Tamil Nadu bar council chairman suspended - Dec 07, 2010
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- Nationwide lawyers' strike badly hits court proceedings (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- 1.4 lakh Maharashtra, Goa lawyers join all-India strike (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Lawyers ordered to give free legal aid for assaulting judge - Jun 03, 2010
- Court notice to Delhi bar council - Mar 07, 2012
- Chennai lawyers demand immediate action against policemen - Feb 24, 2009
Tags: agitation, association president, bar council of india, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chennai, chief justice, court proceedings, ganguly, k g balakrishnan, madras high court, opposition members, panchal, party president, police baton, prabhakaran, protest march, subramanian swamy, tamil nadu, thursdays