15 Taliban killed as Pak troops target their hideouts in BajaurOctober 21st, 2008 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
Khar (NWFP), Oct 21 (ANI): As many as 15 Taliban were killed when security forces used heavy artillery, fighter jets and helicopter gunships to target suspected hideouts in Bajaur Agency, last evening.
After the attacks in the Chinar, Charmang, Kohi, Babra, Zorbandar, Hashim and Loyesam areas of the tribal region, helicopters dropped pamphlets asking tribesmen to support the government against Taliban. Government troops now control Salarzai and Utman Khel tehsils and parts of Khar, reported the Daily Times.
According to the paper, shops, banks, government offices and schools remained open in Khar, where the security situation has improved. Meanwhile, about 300 elders from the Salarzai tribe vowed to resist Taliban in their areas during a grand jirga held in Bajaur.
The elders said they would fight against the Taliban for Pakistan s sake, and would not allow them to re-enter their land. They asked the government to launch development and welfare projects in the area to win more tribesmen over.
Meanwhile, in Swat, seven Taliban were killed and another ten wounded in a clash with security forces in the Shah Dherai area of Swats Kabal tehsil on Monday, military officials said.
A military spokesman in Mingora said that the clash followed an attack by Taliban on a security checkpoint. Troops also used artillery to target Taliban positions in the area. Residents said several civilians were killed as mortar shells hit houses.
Taliban fired seven rockets at a security checkpost in Totano Bandai area of Kabal, but there were no casualties. (ANI)
- Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed - Sep 02, 2012
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- 15 Pak FC soldiers found dead in Swat - Oct 23, 2008
- Pak troops kill 12 Taliban in Bajaur, tribals form lashkars to support Army - Oct 25, 2008
- Pak security forces gun down 16 Taliban in Bajaur - Sep 21, 2008
- 27 killed after fighter jets bomb Taliban hideout in Swat - Oct 20, 2008
- 14 Taliban killed in Bajaur Agency - Oct 15, 2008
- 12 Taliban surrender, six killed in Bajaur Army operation - Nov 11, 2008
- Three Taliban among 10 killed in clashes with tribal elders in Bajaur Agency - Nov 19, 2008
- 33 insurgents killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- Five civilians killed in Pak military shelling in Bajaur Agency - Sep 26, 2008
- Pak security forces kill 35 Taliban in Bajaur air-strikes - Oct 24, 2008
- 20 Taliban killed, 10 hurt in Pak security forces Bajaur operation - Nov 08, 2008
- Pak military continues to pound Taliban hideouts, 15 militants killed in Bajaur - Jun 20, 2009
- Pak security forces kill 18 Taliban in Bajaur Agency - Nov 04, 2008
Tags: elders, fighter jets, government offices, government troops, hashim, heavy artillery, helicopter gunships, hideouts, jirga, khar, military officials, military spokesman, mortar shells, pamphlets, security checkpoint, security situation, taliban, tehsil, tribesmen, welfare projects