13 terrorists killed in Kashmir five-day long fierceOctober 3rd, 2008 - 8:31 pm ICT by ANI
Kangan/Srinagar, Oct 3 (ANI): In one of the longest gunfights in recent times, Indian army gunned down all thirteen militants in a fierce five-day encounter in Kangan area of Jammu and Kashmir .
Acting on a tip-off, the army decided to take on the militants who were hiding in the hilly terrain of Chhamarsar area, between Bandipore and Kangan regions of the valley.
The encounter, which began late night on September 27 and ended on October 01, took place at an altitude of 15, 000 feet. The militants were holed up inside a cave in the mountains.
From September 27, it ended on October 1. During this period we landed few more additional troops who linked up with the troops in the area, and the end result was that we were able to neutralise all 13 militants in the area. We have as on today, recovered 11 bodies, and part two of the operation, to recover two more bodies, which have been buried in the debris of the cave which have collapsed is on and I am sure, we will be able to recover these bodies, said VSS Gaudar, General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the Kilo Force.
Eleven AK-47/56 rifles, 27 magazines, 287 rounds of ammunition and two satellite phones have been recovered from the slain terrorists.
Though the identity of the militants is uncertain, the army denied the possibility of them belonging to any new group.
We are not sure about the identity of these militants but according to us, they are not from any new group. All these people belong to some old group, which had gathered together and was going towards some other place, maybe to Kangan or towards south Kashmir . This operation took place between Bandipore and Kangan, Gaudar added.
One soldier was also killed during the encounter. (ANI)
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing - Jul 26, 2012
- Slain Kashmir youth was militant, reiterates army - Jul 26, 2012
- Nine-day long Kashmir gunbattle kills 13 guerrillas, trooper - Oct 03, 2008
- Three guerrillas killed in north Kashmir gun battle - Aug 12, 2010
- Operation Khoj in Kashmir the biggest against terrorists - Apr 03, 2010
- Kangan encounter on, militant, cop killed - Oct 01, 2010
- Gunfight outside Srinagar ends, two militants killed (Third Lead) - Oct 21, 2010
- Army officer cremated with full military honours - Aug 22, 2011
- Body of third Jaish-e-Mohammad militant recovered from Maluroo - Oct 22, 2010
- Two separatist guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Oct 12, 2011
- No definite information on infiltration: Army - Jun 21, 2011
- Eight militants killed in two Kashmir gun fights (Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- The harsh realities of counter-insurgency operations - May 28, 2011
- Six terrorists killed on Kashmir border - May 12, 2012
- Two foreign guerrillas killed in Kashmir's Sopore (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
Tags: ak 47, altitude, ammunition, debris, encounter, end result, gaudar, goc, gunfights, hilly terrain, indian army, jammu and kashmir, kangan, kashmir, kilo, late night, militants, rifles, satellite phones, south kashmir