1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in PakNovember 19th, 2010 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Amritsar, Nov.19 (ANI): About 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims have left for Pakistan to attend the 541st birth anniversary of Guru Nanak, the first spiritual leader of the Sikh Community, at Nankana Sahib in Sheikhupura District, even as the Pakistan Government denied visas to 250 Sikh pilgrims.
The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee (SGPC) has sent this jatha under the leadership of Sawinder Singh Dogalia.
After attending the main function at Nankana Sahib, the pilgrims will visit other Sikh shrines, including Punja Sahib, Sacha Sauda Sahib, Raori Sahib and Dera Sahib in and around Lahore.
Sham Singh, president of the Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee (PSGPC), told ANI recently that the PSGPC has invited pilgrims from around the world to celebrate Guru Nanak’s birth anniversary.
This not the first time that Islamabad has denied visas to Indian Sikhs. Last month, 150 Sikh pilgrims who wanted to go Lahore on October 7 to celebrate the birth anniversary of the fourth Sikh Guru, Ram Dass, were denied visas.
Dalmagh Singh, secretary of the SGPC, said the matter would be taken up with the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi.
Dr. Pritpal Singh, convener of the American Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee (AGPC), also said he would raise the matter with the authorities in Pakistan.
Around 10,000 Sikh devotees are expected to attend the anniversary celebrations. (ANI)
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrims - Mar 03, 2011
- 350 Sikhs reach Pakistan for Ranjit Singh anniversary - Jun 22, 2012
- Devotees visit Amritsar's Golden Temple on Baisakhi - Apr 14, 2011
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Sikh delegation meets Pak PM in Lahore, takes up flexible visa issue demand - Nov 27, 2010
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
- 4,000 Sikhs reach Pakistan for Nanak's birth anniversary - Nov 19, 2010
- Gurpurab celebrations conclude at Nankana Sahib - Nov 11, 2011
- Sikh pilgrims visit Pakistan - Nov 09, 2011
- Sikh pilgrims leave for Pakistan to attend Guru Nanak's death anniversary - Sep 21, 2009
- Sikh bodies divided over change in Guru Tegh Bahadur martyrdom date - Nov 24, 2010
- 3,000 Indian Sikhs to visit Pakistan - Apr 11, 2011
- 3,000 Sikhs to visit Pakistan on Baisakhi - Apr 04, 2012
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: amritsar, anniversary celebrations, birth anniversary, guru nanak, nankana sahib, pakistan government, pakistan high commission, pritpal singh, ram dass, ravinder singh, sgpc, sham singh, shiromani gurdwara, sikh community, sikh gurdwara, sikh guru, sikh pilgrims, sikh shrines, sikhs, spiritual leader