110,000 Haj pilgrims to be covered under subsidy scheme this yearNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:18 am ICT by admin
The Cabinet decided to include Varanasi as an embarkation point for Haj over and above the existing ones, besides deciding to retain the 110,000 number of pilgrims to be covered under the subsidy scheme.
Air fare for the round trip to Jeddah/Madinah would remain at Rs. 12,000 and the rest of the cost would be paid as subsidy by the government to Air India, a Cabinet release said.
Airport Tax levied by the Saudi Government at the rate of 50 Saudi Arabian Riyals per passenger will have to be paid by the pilgrim, the release said.
The Saudi Arabian Airlines (SAA) will transport upto 59,000 pilgrims at the return fare of 772 dollars for Mumbai, Delhi, Ahmedabad and Hyderabad and 849 dollars from Chennai and Bangalore, in addition an insurance surcharge of 10 dollars will be charged per pilgrim from each station for each return seat.
Remaining pilgrims will be transported by Air India from Lucknow, Kolkata, Calicut, Nagpur, Aurangabad, Patna, Guwahati, Jaipur, Srinagar and Varanasi.
The movement of Haj pilgrims from India to Saudi Arabia is scheduled to commence from November 10.
The total cost of operation for Haj 2007 is estimated to be around Rs. 519 crores (Rs. 5.19 billion). (ANI)
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- India pays Rs.600 crore as Haj subsidy annually - May 08, 2012
- Three Indian Haj pilgrims die - Oct 07, 2011
- 125,000 pilgrims to be covered under Haj subsidy - Jul 20, 2012
- Muslim clerics, leaders welcome apex court ruling on Haj (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Indian Haj 2009 operations to commence from October 20 - Oct 19, 2009
- Arrangements in place for Haj pilgrims: Civil aviation ministry - Sep 16, 2010
- Haj tour operators demand release of quota - Sep 12, 2011
- Apex court observations on Haj subsidy - May 08, 2012
- Apex court observations on Haj subsidy (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 09, 2012
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Muslim League wants PM to streamline Haj pilgrimage - Jun 15, 2010
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- 101,072 Indian Hajis reach Saudi Arabia - Oct 25, 2011
- Apex court wants VIP quota for Haj to go (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: air india, aurangabad, calicut, crores, embarkation point, guwahati, haj pilgrims, insurance surcharge, madinah, mumbai delhi, pilgrim, saa, saudi arabian airlines, saudi government, subsidy scheme, union cabinet, varanasi