11 people die in Gujarat stampede (Update-Gujarat stampede)November 14th, 2007 - 2:14 am ICT by admin
Around two lakh devotees had gathered at the temple to offer prayers.
“The stampede occurred between devotees who were coming down the hill and those who were climbing their way up”, Resident District Collector of Panchmahals R K Rathod said.
The stampede took place at Patia Pul, a narrow bridge that leads to the temple, due to heavy rush that turned up on a holiday.
“Navratri festival is going on and every day we receive hundreds of thousands of people. It was a Sunday today and so there was a huge rush,” said Satishjibhai, a shop owner.
Police have confirmed the death of at least 11 devotees.
“As per confirmed news 11 people have died,” said Dipankar Trivedi, Superintendent of Police in Maharashtra.
The injured have been referred to the Baroda city hospital, police said.
The Gujarat Government has reportedly announced a compensation of one lakh rupees to the kin of the deceased. (ANI)
- Ten killed, several injured in Bihar temple stampede - Oct 17, 2010
- Navratri begins with fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- 10 killed in Bihar temple stampede (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Ten devotees killed in Bihar stampede - Oct 17, 2010
- Stampedes at religious places in over a decade - Nov 08, 2011
- One lakh devotees at Odisha's Lingaraj temple - Feb 20, 2012
- At least 12 feared dead in Gujarat temple stampede - Nov 14, 2007
- Uttar Pradesh temple stampede, death toll rises to 65 - Mar 04, 2010
- Fervour and gaiety mark first day of Navratri - Apr 04, 2011
- Log on, perform prayers online! - Mar 18, 2012
- Stampede in Chamunda Devi temple mars Navratri festival revelry - Oct 01, 2008
- Mahashivaratri celebrated across India - Feb 20, 2012
- Kites, feasts, dancing mark Makar Sankranti celebrations (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Devotees throng Delhi temple as Navratri festival begins - Oct 08, 2010
- 16 killed as truck overturns in Gujarat - Jun 14, 2010