11 feared dead, 50 injured in Assam serial blastsOctober 30th, 2008 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Oct 30 (ANI): At least 11 persons died and 50 injured in at least 11 serial blasts in Guwahati and Upper Assam this afternoon. All the blasts are said to have taken place within a span of 15 minutes.
According to official sources, one of the blasts took place in front of the Kamrup district deputy commissioner’’s office in Guwahati. Two other bombs exploded at Ganeshguri and Fancy Bazaar areas. A yet other blast took place in Barpeta district and two explosions occurred in Bongaigaon area.
Meanwhile, unofficial estimates say that at least 22 people are feared dead in the blasts - seven in the Fancy Bazaar and 15 in Kokrajhar.
The death toll is expected to go up.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has called for an emergency cabinet meeting in Guwahati in order to take immediate precautionary measures to curb any further blasts. (ANI)
- ULFA may be behind serial blasts says Assam Government - Oct 30, 2008
- President Patil condemns Assam serial blasts - Oct 30, 2008
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Centre seeks report on Assam serial blasts - Oct 30, 2008
- Blast injures two in Assam (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 14, army called in (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Eight killed in Assam floods - Jun 21, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Don't spare Assam's Kasab, say victims of 2008 blasts - Oct 29, 2010
- Assam ministers rush to violence-hit Kokrajhar - Jul 24, 2012
- 30 killed as 12 blasts rock Assam (Second Lead) - Oct 30, 2008
- Manmohan Singh to visit blast affected areas of Assam - Nov 01, 2008
- Assam blasts: PM says government not soft on terrorism - Nov 01, 2008
- Assam ministers in Kokrajhar, 19 dead (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: 15 minutes, bazaar, bombs, cabinet meeting, chief minister, death toll, deputy commissioner, district deputy, explosions, gogoi, oct 30, precautionary measures, serial blasts, span, tarun, unofficial estimates, upper assam