101 Indian prisoners released by Pakistan cross Wagah BorderNovember 27th, 2008 - 3:03 pm ICT by ANI
Wagah Border (Amritsar), Nov 27 (ANI): A group of 101 Indian prisoners released by Pakistan as a goodwill gesture crossed over to their homeland on Wednesday. Pakistan released 101 prisoners including 99 Indian fishermen prisons on Tuesday ahead of a meeting between the interior secretaries of the two countries.
The fishermen were arrested in a period ranging between two to six years while the two other Indian citizens were in prison for longer time.
“We are going home so we are really happy. The moment we stepped on our nation’’s land we were really glad,” said Manoj, a released prisoner.
The fishermen appealed to the authorities concerned to take steps to release those prisoners languishing in both the countries.
“We were catching fish. We ourselves were not aware in water that we have crossed the border. There are many other Indian prisoners in Pakistan and similarly Pakistani prisoners in India and they should also be released. We are feeling very happy now as we are going home,” said Shashi, another fisherman.
India released a 15-year-old Pakistan boy Nasir Sultan on Friday who had illegally crossed over to India to meet Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan, after nearly three months of detention.
The two countries have exchanged hundreds of prisoners since launching new peace moves four years ago after coming close to another war over their long running dispute over Kashmir. (ANI)
- India releases eight Pakistani prisoners at Wagah check post - Mar 08, 2011
- Pak releases 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 15, 2011
- 100 released Indian fishermen reach home - Sep 01, 2010
- Pak to free 89 Indian prisoners on Friday - Apr 13, 2011
- Pakistan frees 100 more Indian fishermen - Sep 02, 2010
- Pakistan releases 180 Indian prisoners (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Pakistan to release 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 11, 2011
- India hands over four Pakistani prisoners at Wagah border - Jun 30, 2010
- India frees 39 Pakistan prisoners at Wagah - Apr 11, 2011
- Surjeet freed, to come home via Wagah (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- Pak releases last batch of Indian fishermen - Sep 07, 2010
- India releases Pakistani civilian prisoners - May 28, 2010
- India releases 19 Pakistani fishermen - Jun 01, 2010
- India frees 14 Pakistani prisoners (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- India repatriates 91 Pakistanis - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: amritsar, authorities, catching fish, fisherman, going home, goodwill gesture, India, indian citizens, indian fishermen, indian prisoners, kashmir, nasir, pakistan, prisons, secretaries, shahrukh khan, six years, sultan, three months, wagah border