100 guerrillas waiting to sneak into Kashmir: ArmyDecember 19th, 2011 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 19 (IANS) At least 100 guerrillas were waiting to infiltrate into the Kashmir Valley from across the Line of Control (LoC), the army Monday said quoting information gleaned by intelligence agencies.
A statement issued by the public relations office of the army here said: “Elimination of a large number of guerrillas in the hinterland this year has created a vacuum in the terrorist leadership and their effectiveness. Therefore, there is pressure on the terrorists in the training camps/launch pads in PoK to infiltrate.
“This has been corroborated by intelligence inputs of various intelligence agencies which have indicated presence of an additional 100 militants across the LoC poised for infiltration.
“Traditionally, infiltration decreases with the onset of snow, but due to late winter, terrorists, as in the past, will make desperate attempts to infiltrate in the coming few months.”
The statement also said that attempts were being made by vested interests to upset the synergy between various security forces conducting counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir.
“There appears to be an attempt by inimical elements, probably from across the LoC, to drive a wedge between the army, other security forces and the state government with a view to breaking the excellent synergy which has been generated throughout 2011.”
The statement also asserted that the army was capable of working within the parameters of difference of opinion as per democratic norms.
Clearing the air about the stand of the army over the revocation of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), the statement said: “It is, therefore, incorrect to surmise that infiltration has taken place or is related to issue of revocation of AFSPA.”
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has been pushing for revocation of AFSPA from the four districts of Srinagar, Badgam, Samba and Jammu while the army continues to believe such a step would hamper their operational efficacy against the guerrillas.
- Four guerrillas killed while crossing LoC - May 10, 2012
- Four infiltration bids foiled in eight days in Kashmir - Aug 06, 2011
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Defence, home ministries to decide on AFSPA: Army - Jan 15, 2012
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Kashmir officials to visit Delhi on AFSPA - Nov 20, 2011
- New strategy in Kashmir to foil terrorists' plans: Army - Oct 12, 2010
- Infiltration bid foiled, Army man injured - Nov 24, 2010
- Army steps up vigil along LoC - May 20, 2012
- No infiltration from across LoC this year: Indian Army - Jul 16, 2011
- 450 terrorists waiting to enter India, says army - Oct 25, 2010
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Oct 09, 2011
- Four infiltrators killed on LoC - Oct 01, 2011
- Over 400 militants waiting to enter valley: Army - May 23, 2012
- Chidambaram discusses AFSPA with Kashmir government (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: afspa, chief minister, counter insurgency, democratic norms, desperate attempts, difference of opinion, guerrillas, hinterland, infiltration, intelligence agencies, jammu, kashmir, kashmir valley, militants, pok, revocation, security forces, state government, synergy, training camps