10 die, including kids, as bus falls into river near Kottayam in KeralaMarch 23rd, 2010 - 10:39 pm ICT by ANI
By Juhan Samuel
Kottayam (Kerala), March 23 (ANI): At least 10 persons including school children, women and one rescuer died when a private bus carrying around 40 passengers fell into a deep river after hitting an electricity pole while giving side to other vehicle near Kerala’s Kottayam district on Tuesday.
The incident occurred at around 2.15 pm when the driver of the bus, coming to Kottayam from Cherthala in Alleppey district, was seen giving way to a vehicle passing by and hit the electricity pole on the roadside. Soon the line bus tumbled and drowned into the Meenachil River.
Most of people were rescued by the villagers, who rushed for their help after witnessing the incident. Besides, the local country boat operators plying in the region rushed to save people, which prevented it from becoming a major mishap.
Two navy helicopters from Southern naval Command were pressed into service. They conducted an Ariel search operation around the area. The naval divers also joined in the underwater search with fire and rescue personnel.
The survivors at the Medical hospital said that the bus was not running at its normal speed just when it hit the pole and suddenly tumbled into the river. The bus wasn’t crowded. Everyone also felt short circuit after falling in the water.
Kerala’s State Health and transport minister with other higher official of Police rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.
Till last reports arrived, eight bodies had been fished out by rescuers from the river at Thazhathangadi.
The death toll is likely to rise and the efforts were on to lift the bus from the water using heavy cranes, as small cranes could not be of any help.
Rescue workers have since managed to lift the bus partly out of water, after 3 to 4 hours from the time of incident. (ANI)
- Eight killed as bus falls into Kerala river (Second Lead) - Mar 23, 2010
- Four dead, 20 rescued from bus that fell into Kerala river - Mar 23, 2010
- Bus falls into Kerala river - Mar 23, 2010
- Kerala house adjourned after tribute to accident victims - Mar 24, 2010
- Indonesia: 14 dead, 40 injured in West Java bus accident - Feb 11, 2012
- Teenager falls into Bengal well (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Japan shaken: survivors look for missing kin, n-meltdown feared (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- Four dead in building collapse - Jul 17, 2011
- Class four student run over in Delhi - Jul 27, 2012
- Kolkata to deploy cranes, barges to streamline immersion - Oct 05, 2011
- Cyclist trapped under burning car rescued - Sep 14, 2011
- Dark new year for cyclone-hit Tamil Nadu districts - Jan 01, 2012
- Lifeboats rescue pony from a small beach - Jan 19, 2012
- 13 dead due to rains in China - Jul 22, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: boat operators, cherthala, electricity pole, help rescue, kerala, kottayam district, line bus, local country, medical hospital, mishap, naval command, navy helicopters, private bus, rescuer, rescuers, search operation, short circuit, state health, transport minister, underwater search