1 militant killed in a suicide attack on CRPF camp in SrinagarNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:05 am ICT by admin
This triggered the gun-battle, he added.
The CRPF is assessing the situation, Tripathy said.
The attack came at the time when Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad was hosting an Iftaar party at the nearby Sher-e-Kashmir International Convention Centre (SKICC).
The incident happened around 6.30 p.m.
The encounter is still continuing with intense firing going on between the two sides.
The area has been cordoned off.
The number of militants was not known immediately, officials said.
Reinforcements have been rushed to the area, police said. (ANI)
- Trooper shot, injured by militants in Kashmir - Oct 14, 2011
- Srinagar attackers are from across the border, says DIG, CRPF - Jan 06, 2010
- Srinagar gunbattle ends, both militants killed - Nov 14, 2007
- No chopper this time, Chidambaram takes busy road in normal Srinagar - Jun 21, 2011
- Lal Chowk encounter ends with gunning down of three militants - Jan 07, 2010
- CRPF kill 9 Maoists in Bastar gunfight, rebels strike back (Second Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
- Two top militants killed in Indian-controlled Kashmir - Apr 24, 2011
- Former militant, bystander shot at in Srinagar - Jun 07, 2012
- Police to help rehabilitation of released Kashmir militants - Feb 26, 2012
- National Conference worker shot at in Srinagar - Sep 15, 2011
- Maoists kill three troopers in Maharashtra - Aug 20, 2011
- Guerrilla commander killed in north Kashmir - Mar 12, 2011
- Two BSF personnel critically injured in militant attack in J-K - Jan 02, 2010
- CRPF soldier injured in firing by crowd near Sopore - Aug 14, 2010
- Two guerrillas gunned down in Chhattisgarh - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: azad, battalion, crpf, ghulam nabi, grenade, gun battle, international convention centre, jammu and kashmir, kashmir chief minister, militants, reinforcements, sher, spokesman, srinagar, suicide attack