World Health Organization calls third emergency meetingApril 29th, 2009 - 9:02 pm ICT by admin
GENEVA (BNO NEWS) – The World Health Organization has called for a third emergency meeting of the committee on Wednesday, BNO News has learned.
The meeting is expected to take place later on Wednesday or early Thursday, said Paul Garwood, WHO’s spokesperson for emergencies and humanitarian affairs.
“This meeting would be to review [the] latest information, including information coming out of an ongoing meeting of a group of scientists from around the world on the H1N1 situation,” Garwood told BNO News. The spokesman also said that the committee will discuss the current pandemic alert level, which is currently at level 4.
In the recent days, there have been calls from officials to not use the word swine flu as it is misleading. Swine flu, or H1N1, does not infect people via contact with pigs, as the name could suggest. On Wednesday, the Egyptian government decided to cull all pigs in the country, a move which is widely seen as an attempt to stop people from panicking.
Paul Garwood told BNO News that, although the scientific name is H1N1, they will continue to call it swine flu for now. President Obama on Wednesday had referred to the virus as H1N1.
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- Young child among eleven H1N1 flu deaths in Jordan - Jan 23, 2011
- H1N1 Not Over Yet, Says WHO - Jun 04, 2010
- WHO declares swine flu pandemic over - Aug 11, 2010
- WHO Declares Swine Flu Pandemic Officially Over - Aug 11, 2010
- World Health Organization to declare Swine Flu a global pandemic - Apr 30, 2009
- WHO: H1N1 not over as yet - Jun 04, 2010
- UN: Bird flu still poses global threat - Apr 16, 2010
- WHO concludes emergency meeting; pandemic declaration expected - Jun 11, 2009
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- CDC confirms three new swine flu cases in Iowa - Nov 25, 2011
- Swine flu rising in Russia, Europe - Jan 17, 2011
- Key Facts about Swine Influenza (Swine Flu) - Apr 26, 2009
- Two die of swine flu in Orissa, toll seven - Aug 11, 2010
- Swine Flu Pandemic Is Over - WHO - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: bno, egyptian government, emergencies, flu, garwood, geneva, h1n1, humanitarian affairs, obama, pandemic, pigs, scientists, spokesman also said that, spokesperson, swine flu, virus, world health organization