World Conference on Tobacco or Health begins in MumbaiMarch 8th, 2009 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 8 (IANS) The 14th World Conference on Tobacco or Health - the largest meet of anti-tobacco advocates, health experts, scientists and educators - began in Mumbai Sunday. It is the first time the event is being held in India.
More than 2000 delegates from across the world are attending the conference at the National Centre for Performing Arts. It will end March 12.
Maharashtra Governor S.C. Jamir inaugurated the conference.
In his address, the governor said that tobacco consumption was causing millions of deaths in India alone, which is a matter of concern for the government.
“Use of tobacco is major cause of diseases, but it is affecting poor people hard,” Jamir said.
He said that tobacco companies were minting money at the cost of human lives.
Other dignitaries present at the inaugural conference included central Health and Family Welfare minister Anbumani Ramadoss and Maharashtra Home Minister Jayant Patil.
In her pre-recorded keynote address, World Health Organisation Director General Dr Margaret Chan emphasised the need for creating more awareness among youngsters across the world. “Tobacco control is greatest opportunity to save the people, particularly young,” she said.
The WHO chief assured full support in fight against tobacco use. “Increasing the price of tobacco products is one of the important measure to control tobacco use,” she said, adding this was opposed by the tobacco industry.
“Unquestionably, tobacco control is must, one billion lives would be lost in this century if it failed,” Chan said.
- Tobacco control programme to be combined with NRHM - May 31, 2012
- Health ministry plans plain packaging of tobacco products - Jul 23, 2012
- Mizoram launches 'No smoking' campaign - Jul 03, 2011
- Mizoram get tough against tobacco use and drug abuse - Oct 08, 2011
- Tobacco major cause of cancer deaths: Study - Apr 02, 2012
- Poor people are most hard-hit by TB, COPD and tobacco - Nov 06, 2010
- Fourth conference on open software on in Kerala capital - Dec 27, 2011
- Ramadoss fumes at Godfrey Phillips - Sep 08, 2011
- Tobacco will annually kill six million people: Report - Mar 09, 2009
- Delhi civic body tightens anti-tobacco measures - Jul 15, 2011
- Shaan pledges to fight tobacco menace - May 10, 2011
- Check tobacco promotion, sales: Voluntary group to FSSAI - Jun 20, 2012
- WHO urges sufficient health budgets despite economic plight - Oct 20, 2011
- Anti-smoking activists in Kerala oppose I&B; ministry decision - May 09, 2012
- Tripura to punish use of tobacco, drug in public places - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: address world, anbumani ramadoss, central health, dignitaries, dr margaret chan, family welfare, health experts, home minister, inaugural conference, jayant, keynote address, maharashtra, tobacco companies, tobacco consumption, tobacco control, tobacco industry, tobacco products, tobacco use, world health organisation, world tobacco