Woman kills self over skin conditionAugust 17th, 2012 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 17 (IANS) A 31-year-old British woman, who was plagued by a skin condition that caused her face to redden, went into depression that caused her to jump to her death from a bridge.
For several months, Vicky Norfolk suffered from rosacea, which looks like a rash, the Daily Mail reported.
Despite support from her family, the woman descended into depression and resolved to take her own life.
She jumped from the Humber Bridge in Hull in February last year.
An inquest heard how a month before her suicide, Norfolk cycled to the bridge and climbed over the railing. Police officer Mark Osborn spotted her and persuaded her not to jump.
She told him she was very sad and depressed and had decided to come to the bridge to commit suicide.
The next month, Norfolk returned to the bridge but decided against jumping.
However, a few days later, the policeman cycled over the bridge and saw Norfolk’s cycle in almost the same place as before. But this time she was not there. Her body was found 12 months later.
Her 58-year-old mother Anne said her daughter had been a happy person but had become obsessed with her skin condition.
More than six million Britons have rosacea. Famous sufferers include former US president Bill Clinton.
Rosacea causes facial redness and spots on the forehead and cheeks and around the mouth and nose, which look red and swollen. Treatments include antibiotics as well as laser therapy. Although the condition is incurable, treatments work best if the condition is caught early.
- Woman jumps to death from Noida flat - Jun 20, 2012
- Woman 'commits suicide' by jumping into crocodile pit - Sep 06, 2012
- Suicides in Gurgaon: Over 100 cases in four months - May 11, 2012
- Woman banker commits suicide in Ghaziabad - Jun 07, 2012
- Cancer patient commits suicide - Aug 18, 2012
- Colored light sources paving way for new office, home-based skin devices - Mar 16, 2011
- Woman falls to death in Noida, husband detained - Apr 14, 2012
- Girl commits suicide over failed love affair (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Girl attempts suicide by jumping into crowded Howrah tracks - Feb 14, 2012
- Woman critical after jumping off Delhi flyover - Aug 01, 2012
- Brain surgery overcomes incurable case of depression - Jan 25, 2011
- People With Severe Acne Have Increased Suicide Risk - Nov 13, 2010
- Woman bank official commits suicide - Oct 19, 2010
- 23-year-old woman ages 50 years in just days! - Oct 13, 2011
- Woman commits suicide at Delhi Metro station (Second Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: antibiotics, british woman, britons, daily mail, facial redness, forehead, humber bridge, inquest, laser therapy, mother anne, old mother, osborn, police officer, policeman, president bill clinton, railing, rash, rosacea, skin condition, vicky