WHO experts investigate Bihar’s mystery diseaseJune 24th, 2011 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 24 (IANS) Health experts, including a team of the World Health Organisation (WHO), are visiting villages in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district to investigate the cause of mystery disease that has killed 42 children, an official said Friday.
WHO experts and others from National Institute of Virology, Pune and a central medical team from New Delhi were visiting villages and meeting local residents to collect information about the disease, a health official told IANS on telephone.
The WHO team arrived Thursday and visited some villages, he said.
The mystery disease was identified as encephalitis by health experts Thursday. But the Bihar government is yet to officially confirm it.
“It is not a mystery disease, it is encephalitis that killed children,” said I.P. Choudhary, a member of the central medical team from New Delhi.
But state Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey said: “It was not proper to term it as encephalitis.”
All the children died after they got high fever followed by convulsions and unconsciousness. Locals have repeatedly been terming the disease as ‘chamki ki bimari’, saying the symptoms were similar to those of encephalitis, which causes inflammation of the brain.
Over three dozen children are undergoing treatment in various hospitals in Muzaffarpur, Motihari and Patna.
- Mystery disease kills three more in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Mystery disease kills two more in Bihar - Jun 22, 2011
- Bihar's mystery disease identified as toll rises to 41 - Jun 23, 2011
- Mystery disease kills four more in Bihar - Jun 21, 2011
- Mystery disease kills four more in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Five more children die of mystery disease in Bihar - Jun 20, 2011
- Mystery disease kills eight more in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Seven more children die of mysterious illness in Bihar - Jun 19, 2011
- Mysterious disease kills 13 children in Bihar - Jun 18, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills nine kids in Bihar - Sep 06, 2011
- Twenty children die of mysterious illness in Bihar - Jun 11, 2010
- 12 children die of mysterious disease in Bihar - Jun 09, 2010
- Declare killer disease an epidemic, says Bihar - Jun 11, 2012
- 73 kids die of 'mysterious' disease in Bihar - Jun 08, 2012
- Killer disease is not Japanese encephalitis - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: ashwani, bihar government, convulsions, encephalitis, health experts, health minister, health official, high fever, inflammation of the brain, june 24, medical team, motihari, muzaffarpur district, mystery disease, national institute of virology, New Delhi, pune, state health, undergoing treatment, world health organisation