WHO declares influenza A (H1N1) ’swine flu’ a pandemicJune 11th, 2009 - 9:49 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
According to the world’s peak health body more than 28,000 cases of influenza A (H1N1) have been reported globally and over 141 confirmed deaths.
In at least two regions of the world the virus is spreading, with rising cases being seen in the UK, Australia, Japan and Chile.
One factor which prompted the move to a level six pandemic was that in the southern hemisphere, the virus seems to be crowding out normal seasonal influenza.
Influenza A(H1N1) first emerged in Mexico in April and has since spread to 74 countries.
WHO chiefs said the move did not mean the virus was causing more severe illness or more deaths, but the global nature of the outbreak, transmission and rate of infection is fulfilling the requirements of a pandemic.
Experts from the WHO say the current pandemic is moderate and causing mild illness in most people.
There have been almost 800 cases in the UK with some areas of Scotland being particularly hard hit. IIn Australia, swine flu cases jumped to more than 1,000 on Monday and reached 1,260 by late Wednesday.
The last pandemic — the Hong Kong flu of 1968 — killed about 1 million people. Ordinary flu kills about 250,000 to 500,000 people each year.
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- Young child among eleven H1N1 flu deaths in Jordan - Jan 23, 2011
- WHO Declares Swine Flu Pandemic Officially Over - Aug 11, 2010
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- WHO declares swine flu pandemic over - Aug 11, 2010
- Swine flu rising in Russia, Europe - Jan 17, 2011
- 81 Mexicans die of swine flu - Feb 12, 2012
- Swine flu claims 10 victims in Britain - Dec 13, 2010
- WHO: H1N1 not over as yet - Jun 04, 2010
- SMART biochip can speedily detect flu virus - Jun 11, 2012
- 58 Mexicans die of flu - Feb 06, 2012
- The reason behind mildness of 2009 H1N1 pandemic - Jun 19, 2010
- More seizures in children with H1N1 virus than those with seasonal flu - Sep 20, 2010
- WHO warns of second wave of swine flu pandemic - Aug 23, 2009
- Human, bird flu virus interaction can create more virulent strains - Feb 23, 2010
Tags: 1 million, chiefs, deaths, flu, flu cases, flu outbreak, global nature, global pandemic, h1n1, health body, hong kong flu, influenza, mild illness, peak health, regions of the world, scotland, southern hemisphere, swine flu, virus, world health organization