WHO concludes emergency meeting; pandemic declaration expectedJune 11th, 2009 - 7:55 pm ICT by admin
GENEVA (BNO NEWS) — The World Health Organization concluded an emergency meeting on Thursday afternoon and is expected to declare a full scale swine flu pandemic within hours, BNO News has learned.
“The emergency meeting has finished,” Sarah Russell, who is a spokeswoman for the health organization, told BNO News. Russell, who was not able to provide details on the outcome of the meeting, said that Director-General Dr. Margaret Chan would be holding a press conference at 12 p.m. EDT (6 p.m. Geneva time). “The Director-General has decided to give a press conference at six so she can explain what is going on to everybody then,” she said. The briefing will be held in the Executive Board room of the WHO headquarters in Geneva.
Russell said the council discussed a number of topics, including the pandemic alert scale. It is widely expected that the organization will now raise the pandemic alert level from 5 to 6, declaring the H1N1 flu virus, better known as swine flu, as a global pandemic. The disease has seen a sustained worldwide spread in the past month although most of the cases have been mild. According to the latest update, there have been 27,737 confirmed cases of swine flu, 141 of them resulting in fatalities.
Asked what a level 6 would mean, Russel said: “It means that an influenza pandemic is underway and a pandemic means that a virus which is new to humans has appeared, that its spreading, and that it is causing disease in many parts of the world.”
The pandemic alert scale has seen a lot of criticism, especially since the outbreak of the H1N1 virus, as it does not reflect the severity of the outbreak. Russel said she was not aware of any plans to possibly change the criteria for the scale.
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- WHO Declares Swine Flu Pandemic Officially Over - Aug 11, 2010
- WHO: H1N1 not over as yet - Jun 04, 2010
- WHO declares swine flu pandemic over - Aug 11, 2010
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- Two die of swine flu in Orissa, toll seven - Aug 11, 2010
- Swine Flue Reaches Pandemic Level 5 Alert - Apr 30, 2009
- Swine flu spread much wider than suspected - Jun 09, 2011
- Young child among eleven H1N1 flu deaths in Jordan - Jan 23, 2011
- Landmark agreement improves global preparedness for influenza pandemics - Apr 18, 2011
- 'No mutation of swine flu virus' - Apr 11, 2012
- WHO close to announcing swine flu pandemic, says official - Jun 10, 2009
- H1N1 Not Over Yet, Says WHO - Jun 04, 2010
- Swine flu patients swell to 56 in Lucknow - Sep 03, 2012
- Swine Flu Toll Hits 16,713: Says WHO - Mar 13, 2010
Tags: bno, director general, dr margaret chan, executive board room, flu, flu virus, geneva, global pandemic, influenza, influenza pandemic, level 6, outbreak, sarah russell, severity, spokeswoman, swine flu pandemic, thursday afternoon, world health organization