Walnuts richest in antioxidantsMarch 28th, 2011 - 12:56 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 28 (IANS) Nature’s perfectly packaged nuts — walnuts — have the highest levels of antioxidants in the nut family and should be consumed as part of a healthy diet.
“Walnuts rank above peanuts, almonds, pecans, pistachios and other nuts,” said Joe Vinson, from the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania, who conducted the analysis.
Vinson said it takes only around seven walnuts a day, for instance, to get the potential health benefits uncovered in previous studies.
“A handful of walnuts contains almost twice as much antioxidants as an equivalent amount of any other commonly consumed nut. This study suggests consumers should eat more walnuts as part of a healthy diet,” said Vinson.
Antioxidants in walnuts are two to 15 times as potent as vitamin E, renowned for its powerful antioxidant effects that protect the body against damaging natural chemicals involved in causing disease, according to a Scranton statement.
Vinson noted that nuts in general contain plenty of high-quality protein that can substitute for meat, vitamins and minerals, dietary fibre, and are dairy and gluten-free.
Years of research by scientists worldwide link regular consumption of small amounts of nuts or peanut butter with decreased risk of heart disease, certain kinds of cancer, gallstones, Type 2 diabetes, and other health problems.
Vinson said his work is the first to compare both the amount and quality of antioxidants found in different nuts.
He filled that knowledge gap by analysing antioxidants in nine different types of nuts — walnuts, almonds, peanuts, pistachios, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, cashews, macadamias, and pecans.
These findings were presented at the 241st National Meeting and Exposition of the American Chemical Society.
- Eating 'handful' of walnuts best bet for healthy heart - Mar 28, 2011
- 14 foods that deliver research-documented benefits to health - Jan 16, 2011
- Be nutty for good health - Apr 13, 2012
- Pistachios help growth of beneficial gut bugs - Apr 26, 2012
- Antioxidants in pecans 'good for your heart' - Feb 25, 2011
- Nuts can help you cut down lung cancer risk - Dec 09, 2009
- Eat pistachios to cut down cancer risk (Lead) - Dec 09, 2009
- Watch what you eat this Diwali! - Oct 22, 2011
- Eat those nuts to stay healthy - Oct 06, 2009
- Dr Oz: For Those Turning 40 - Oct 18, 2011
- Pistachios 'can cut lung cancer risk' - Dec 09, 2009
- Multiple health benefits of eating pistachios - May 21, 2010
- Eating a handful of pecans daily may protect brain - Jun 10, 2010
- Cereal bars not so healthy after all - Aug 18, 2012
- Popcorn richer in antioxidants than many fruits - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: american chemical society, antioxidant effects, brazil nuts, cashews, dietary fibre, hazelnuts, healthy diet, joe vinson, kinds of cancer, knowledge gap, macadamias, natural chemicals, pistachios, potential health, quality protein, type 2 diabetes, university of scranton, vitamins and minerals, walnuts, worldwide link