Vitamin pill can help reverse memory lossSeptember 14th, 2011 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 14 (IANS) A daily vitamin pill could help reverse memory loss in old age and protect against Alzheimer’s disease.
The tablet, containing high doses of B vitamins and folic acid, slowed memory decline by 70 percent in some older people. It also halved the rate of brain shrinkage in some patients linked with forgetfulness that can cause full-blown Alzheimer’s disease.
The results were based on a trial of 270 people aged 70 years and above who suffered from memory lapses known as mild cognitive impairment (MCI).
More than 800,000 people in Britain alone suffer from dementia and the number is likely to double, the Telegraph reported.
Celeste de Jager of Oxford University who led the vitamin trial said it had “definitively” shown that the vitamins were a good way of preventing mental decline.
“A lot of the time brain changes start in your 40s and 50s before you get clinical symptoms,” de Jager told the British Science Festival. “I would think that in middle age people should start thinking about their vitamin levels.”
Asked if she would take the vitamins as a precaution, de Jager said: “I would ask the doctor to check my B12 and my folic acid levels for starters.”
- Large doses of B-complex vitamins may help slow progression of dementia - Oct 26, 2010
- Cheap vitamin pill halts memory loss in Alzheimer's - Sep 09, 2010
- Vitamin B 'new weapon against Alzheimer's' - Sep 09, 2010
- Study Suggests Use Of Vitamin B Delays Alzheimer's Disease - Sep 12, 2010
- Can vitamin B really defend you from Alzheimer's? - Sep 10, 2010
- Diet patterns may keep brain from shrinking - Dec 29, 2011
- Vitamin B12 may protect against Alzheimer's disease - Oct 19, 2010
- Lithium slows development of Alzheimer's: Research - Apr 28, 2011
- Computer-exercise combo prevents memory loss - May 02, 2012
- Brain scans to detect Alzheimer's decades ahead - Jul 12, 2012
- Dementia, a 'silent tsunami' - Apr 11, 2012
- Brain scans may help predict which adults will develop Alzheimer's - Apr 07, 2011
- Brain starts going downhill after 45, shows study - Jan 06, 2012
- Genes tied to shrinking brain, Alzheimer's identified - Apr 16, 2012
- Dead brain cells erode memory - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: 40s, b vitamins, brain changes, brain shrinkage, british science, celeste, dementia, folic acid levels, forgetfulness, jager, memory decline, memory loss, mental decline, middle age, mild cognitive impairment, mild cognitive impairment mci, oxford university, science festival, vitamin levels, vitamin pill