Vitamin D Impacts Cancer And Autoimmune Disease Genes, Study SaysAugust 28th, 2010 - 7:40 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Aug 28, (THAINDIAN NEWS) A recent study which was carried out by scientists of Oxford University has highlighted the importance of Vitamin D in warding off a variety of illnesses which includes cancer as well as a number of autoimmune diseases. The findings of the research, which was undertaken by a team of English and Canadian scientist, gave a boost to the evidences that have found an association between Vitamin D and colorectal cancer as well as diseases such as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, Type I diabetics, to name a few. The results of the study grabbed attention after it was published in the journal Genome.
The study divulged a detailed account of the molecular interactions between the ’sunshine vitamin’ and certain genes that play a pivotal role in effecting the development of cancer and a host of other autoimmune ailments. According to the research, there are an estimated 2,800 binding sites along the genome where Vitamin D interacts with the DNA elements while also indicating that there are around 229 specific genes on which the vitamin has a major impact. Professor Andreas Heger, who is associated with Oxford University’s Medical Research Council Functional Genomics Unit and is one of the lead author’s of the study revealed that the study shows highlights the wide-ranging effects that Vitamin D exerts on the health of an individual.
Most of the Vitamin D that individuals get is derived from exposure to the rays of the sun but the nutrient can also be taken as a supplements in form of food-items which are rich in the ’sunshine’ vitamin.
- Vitamin D May Connected To Genes For Cancer And Other Autoimmune Maladies Connected - Aug 28, 2010
- Vitamin D deficiency linked to wide array of diseases - Aug 24, 2010
- Eye colour linked to severity of skin conditions - May 07, 2012
- Breakthrough could nip arthritis in the bud - Jun 13, 2012
- Defects in immune system enzyme 'raise arthritis, diabetes risk' - Jun 17, 2010
- Human body can create its own vaccine to boost the immune system - Dec 15, 2010
- 'Master switch' for key immune cells in inflammatory diseases found - Jan 17, 2011
- Vitamin D is 'nature's antibiotic' - Nov 24, 2009
- Genetic pathways involved in breast cancer identified - Mar 04, 2011
- Scientists discover new drug target for immune diseases - Aug 04, 2010
- Exposure to sunlight 'helps fight multiple sclerosis' - Mar 07, 2011
- 'Sunshine vitamin' can help beat cancer, heart disease - Aug 16, 2010
- Compound that effectively suppresses multiple sclerosis developed - Apr 19, 2011
- B vitamins in mother' diet cut kid's gut cancer risk - Jun 10, 2011
- Vitamin D deficiencies linked to onset of autoimmune lung disease - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,